Diabetes and UTI's

Ever since I was diagnosed I have gotten UTIs super easily… and now that I have started having sex regularly, it has only gotten worse (UTI symptoms appear a day or two after).
Has anyone else ever dealt with this complication?

Hi mwill13,

I used to get UTI all the time. It got so bad that I would end up the hospital. My new doctor didn’t think that was right that I would come in every week to 2 weeks with an UTI. So I was tested for yeast infection. Since then I haven’t had any problem. So maybe that’s what your problem, it wouldn’t hurt to get tested for that.
Meghan

Sugar in the urine can feed a yeast infection, so if the diabetic happen to be running high, it can increase their chance of thrush or UTI. It is also common for women generally to get one or the other once sexually active but preventive measures can help to reduce chances of them reoccuring too much.

I practice the typical preventive measures myself that most GPs have given me, and I have been okay. I became sexually active within the last 10 years. Problems mostly come up when I’ve either risked a different soap (most common cause imo), been poorly or ran higher than usual with trouble getting it down over a few days (not half as often as soap issue mind you).

Definitely get tested if you’ve never been tested before. Stay safe and have fun! :slight_smile:

I used to get UTI a lot when my blood sugars were out of control. But, I haven’t had that in a long time. Try to keep your blood sugars as close to your recommended target as you can. Drink diet cranberry juice it may help as well.

Hi Gina,

I know this is now an old topic, but just thought I’d add to the conversation… make sure you pee after having sex, otherwise you increase your chances of getting a UTI!