Dexcom Sensor Failure

I had a sensor failure and went to their website and filled out a claim and they sent me a replacement. I had the new one inserted less than 30 minutes and got another Sensor Failure. Both sensors were from the same lot number. For the life of me I cannot see why they would do that. They knew the lot number of the first failed sensor because it was on the claim form I filled out. In a few weeks I will need my next transmitter. I was wondering if this might have something to do with the Sensor Failure.

I just upgraded to the G6 recently. Come to think of it I did have a sensor failure and later a transmitter failure. I was still wearing the sensor when I reported that problem (I keep getting the — because it wouldn’t connect), but when I did remove it I found a pool of blood I hadn’t noticed when inserting it (hard to see site). I never had a similar sensor/transmitter issue with my G5.
Hopefully the subsequent G6 transmitter issue was coincidental.
I’m thinking they may not have had enough issues reported with your lot number to realize there is a problem; but as you and others report them they’ll see what’s going on.
What a pain. If you have more from the same lot I wonder if they will replace them and send a return label so they can investigate?

Hi @synstokesyahoo-com. Sensor errors are not typically related to reuse of a sensor ID number. It’s not unusual to get a box of sensors with the same number. I have a couple of suggestions. When a sensor fails, call Dexcom rather than using a web form. They might be able to help you identify a root cause such as a transmitter error. If you use Facebook, consider joining a group such as the “Dexcom G5/G6 Users” group. You will have faster access to the information you need. Good luck with your Dexcom. I’ve been using G6 for over 1 1/2 years. It’s a great product, but nothing is perfect.

@synstokesyahoo-com Synthia, “sensor failure”, and “lost signal” failure relating to the transmitter are two different things.

The sensor failure, indicated by three small dashes (—) where the glucose value is supposed to be. These usually self-correct within three hours and are commonly caused by either placement on the body, or by moving certain ways. Yes, also by material defect.

The transmitter failure will by indicated on your receiver by a red BTE [bluetooth] symbol and the indicator of connection is not present. Caused by a weak battery, receiver being out-of-range = more than 30 feet, or by interference from other near-by electronics.

I don’t get sensor failures very often and Dexcom has always been quick to replace them. Last time I inserted a new one before calling, and they reminded me to call first - I guess so they can do some initial troubleshooting; then wait 3 hours before replacing and calling to update them so they can send a replacement. They may tell you they’re sending a return label so you can return the defective one.
Ideally this would not happen late in the evening…

Thank you all. Good tips. Dexcom got a new sensor to me today. Overnighted it with no problem. Just put it in and will see what happens. If this one fails it is most likely transmitter although I am surprised I am not getting the transmitter expiring soon message yet. I am due for the new one at the end of the month. Certainly do not want to change that until necessary. $$$

If it is the transmitter they should replace it under warranty - that should buy you some time at least.