Dexcom G6 recent problem

When It was time to change my Dexcom G6 sensor I replaced it and it was not working so I contacted Dexcom and replaced the sensor again. But the problem I have now is when I went to take out the sensor the needle was not on the sensor and now I have sharp pains similar to when the needle is in sometimes. Is this a problem that will resolve its self or should I do something about this problem? I believe that the needle is stuck in my arm.

Contact Dexcom immediately. The wire being embedded in your skin could cause infection or worse.

Actually, is it the needle that’s missing or the sensor wire? The needle retracts into the insertion device so you never actually see it. The sensor wire is just a thin, flexible wire that should be dangling at the bottom of the sensor.

Dexcom’s help article on the matter is pretty short:

Don’t ignore broken or detached sensor wires. A sensor wire could remain under your skin. If this happens, please contact our 24/7 Technical Support at 1-844-607-8398.

If a Dexcom G6 sensor wire breaks off under your skin and you can’t see it, don’t try to remove it. Contact your healthcare provider immediately. You should also seek professional medical help if you experience symptoms of infection or inflammation (such as redness, swelling, or pain at the insertion site).

Follow the Dexcom G6 instructions to help avoid this from happening. If you don’t, you could miss a severe low or high glucose event.

@Andrew1 , the “wire”, that is part of the sensor, is platinum, and your body is unable to absorb it, so resolution would be slow and painful. agree with @WearsHats notify Dex, call a doctor, please

The sensor wire not the needle. So I should still contact a doctor if its the wire too?

Hi @Andrew1 . I’m chiming in a little late here and your question was for @WearsHats , but if you have a foreign body in your body you should seek treatment. Your insurance nurse line could advise you on what to do - there should be a number on your card, but a couple of possibilities are

• Your primary care physician - you don’t necessarily need to see your endo.
  • An urgent care center. They handle things that don’t rise to the level of a visit to the ER (like a heart attack, strike, or extremely low glucose would).

Check with someone right away and keep an eye out for any sign of infection. That could send you to the ER.