Dexcom G6 for toddler

Interested in the dexcom. Read all the info and seen a ton of “day 1” videos. What we’re NOT finding is reviews after in use for a toddler. Our newly diagnosed daughter just turned 2. Not really anxious to slap a device on her but we’ve had a few scares already and ivthink it could help. How do they deal? Picking, fussing …??

@TeamElaina hi Megan,

Sorry to hear about your daughter’s recent diagnosis. Dex has the burden of addressing your concerns, I would suggest you contact them directly and set up an appointment with a rep. They should be glad to hear form you.

I think another way to find out more, is to become connected with a JDRF local chapter and make networking contacts with other parents nearby. The JDRF chapter locator is at this link: https://www.jdrf.org/chapter-select/ you just put in your zip code. they have fundraisers and it is a good way to make connections.

Your endocrinologist may also have ideas for you to make connections with other parents. The Dexcom website does declare that the G6 is “indicated” (IE approved) for 2 year olds.

good luck!

Thank you for your reply.
I will contact the company and see where I get from there.
The Endocrinology team introduced it to us and gave some basic information and suggested we look for videos or feedback online or even YouTube but all I and gave some basic information and suggested we look for videos or feedback online or even YouTube but not really getting my answer there.
The nearest JDRF chapter is 3 hours away from me. I am assuming that we could still communicate online though?

The Dexcom is a great device but in a 2 year old that’s active and constantly playing they tend to be ripped out depending on where they are placed the safest spot I think is the bottom(butt). Does she wear a pump already ?

No pump yet.
Still adjusting doses . Using a syringe. Lots of finger picks and injections! :confused:

@TeamElaina of course you can ask us stuff… that’s why we hang out here!

@TeamElaina

Our son, 4, wears the Dexcom and we have found it to be extremely helpful from a safety perspective. The CGM has probably kept him out of the hospital with a severe low multiple times. The G6 is a MUCH easier application than the G5. We used to have a kicker and screamer for the sensor insertion with the G5, but the G6 is much quicker and much less painful. Even if he fusses for insertion, once it is on and we can get him distracted, he forgets he’s even wearing it. We have found that the back of the arm is the best area for the toddler build, where the belly and back don’t have enough fat and the sensor doesn’t read well. The other nice thing about using the arm, is that we can wrap it with Coban when he is going to be getting in the pool/playing in the mud/etc. Although the CGM is waterproof, this keeps the dressing secure and cleaner and makes it last longer. We have had some issues with getting the full 10 day wear because it gets bumped out by accident, but it has been a Godsend for us in making sure he is safe.

If you do get one, please reach out to me and I can give you some other helpful hints that other T1 moms shared with me that have really helped with insertion, keeping the dressing on, etc.

Also… Dexcom will resupply any sensor that does not last the full 10 days, regardless of why. You just simply call the company and they send you a new one. They just ask for the LOT # for the sensor, so I always keep them until we place the next sensor.

My experience with dexcom as a company has been great. My daughter who is 7 has T1D. I have not been able to use her sensor for the full 10 days bec. her skin gets super irritated. After 3-4 times of that, in spite of using matisol spray, tegaderm and grif grips, we are giving it a rest for awhile. Next step is to try flonase (which was recommended) to see if that will keep her skin from getting all inflamed at the insertion site, which usually happens by day 3 or following a shower or a bath. But, for her tiny body, with no body fat, we are using the t-slim only right now…2 pieces of hardware on her body, is not something she is ready for , nor am I. As you all know; there are no ‘silver bullits’ in type 1 and the technology has its own challenges and learning curves, not to mention the childs feelings about it all, but most importantly.