Counting carbs..HELP!

So I'm having trouble counting carbs. I dont know if i should look at the total carbs or at the nutrion facts? I have an insulin pump which calculates how much insulin I need to take, problem is do I add the total carbs together? because that is what Ive been doing and I'm not sure if thats the right way to do it?  

Estimate the # of carbs in the serving size you're eating, based on the total carbs on the nutrition label.  Add up all the carbs you're eating at that time and and enter it in the pump.  Then the insulin should hit your blood stream about the same time the carbs are being digested and released into the blood as glucose.

There's a good book called Calorie King Guide to Calories, Fat and Carbohydrates you can get from Walmart or any bookstore.  You can also use smartphone apps like LoseIt! (free) or the Track 3 Diabetes app ($6) to look up carbs.  

Thank you! I dont know why it's been so hard for me to get a hold on counting carbs. I'm going to look up the book and the app

The Track 3 app let's you save favorites, so makes it easier to look up stuff you eat all the time.

How do you determine how many carbs you should have?