Counting carbs, sugars or calories?

I've been type 1 for 19 years. I was wondering what others thought...is it better to count carbs, sugars or calories to lose weight and to lower blood sugars?

I think all. The  basic theory is calories in vs. calories burned for the day. But insulin can create weight gain, so the fewer carbs in, the less insulin in, the better. Not to say your current insulin amount is bad thing. Insulin keeps us alive but does not necessaruily keep us healthy...that is one of the many reasons we need a cure! If you are very active, you must keep up the carbs, because those carbs go towards energy for your exercise. Often Type 1 Diabetics also have other auto-immune diseases such as Hypothyroid Disease, have you Dr. check for that.

Well, I'm not an expert, but I love nutrition and balance.  The macro nutrient balance is important.  complex carbs, good protien (T1's be careful if you have kidney complications) and low fat...always low fat...NOT no fat...fat is very important and can have a huge impact on how quickly carbs absorb.  Don't skip meals (5 or 6 a day, small), drink lots of water (start with 8oz first thing in the morning), don't eat more than you use - that where the calories come in.  if you're eating 2500 calories and only movie 1800...you're not going to burn any of that stored fat.   I really like Dr. Sears Zone Perfect...the first couple of weeks you can skip (it's lots of protien and almost no carbs- not great for all) - go right to maintenance.  as always - make sure you talk to you dr.

The book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes re-shaped a lot my views on this. He argues that carbohydrates, especially refined carbohydrates, are the main dietary culprit in the explosion of weight gain and weight-related health issues in Americans.

BP