Competitive hockey and hypo lows in middle of night

my 17 yr old son plays competitive hockey working out 6 nights a week til 10:30 pm. when hen comes home, he eats practically a meal (like50-60 carbs) with no insulin and does his Lantus at half strength. he goes low between 12-1 am in which I treat (sometimes with 60 carbs again) and again between 2:30-3:30 am in which I treat . then teenage boy hormones kick in around 4am and his numbers rise for remainder of night. we check numbers every night every 2 hours bc of extreme lows. he wears freestyle Libre 14 day sensor and does not want the pump yet because of hockey. does anyone have any recommendations of what else we can do to fight the lows during the night?

@nicholgame my opinion would be to work with a CDE with a lot of lantus experience… one strategy may be to split the lantus into 2 shots… or move the shot time to 5 AM or thereabout, the idea will be the lantus shot is on the trailing end of it’s active time, it may benefit your son in the overnight. … and you will want to reduce the lantus BEFORE (in other words, the shot before his hockey game) the hockey. He’s getting those crushing lows because his basal is too high during and maybe 5 hours after the game…

a pump fixes this, but it’s possible to get ok results with shots.

Hi @nicholgame, I can picture what is happening to your son after exercise - intensive exercise of hockey. Even with a pump - any of the several pumps available - it will still take some work to get insulin and food balanced with that exercise. however, a pump would certainly be an asset. I endorse the recommendation @Joe made about getting advice from a CDE VERY familiar with Lantus dosing around exercise.

I do resistance exercise combined bike-riding to and from the gym most days and about 2 to 3 hours after a filling supper, with minimum insulin, my BGL will some times suddenly drop quite low. Years ago when I used Lantus, I had to play around quite a bit to find the right time of day for that injection - and then ended up splitting the dose and reducing to total amount.