Common Sense

Hi everybody,

This is really getting on my nerves!!! Where I live we didn't pass our levey which means the schools are cutting things!!!!!!! Nurses being one of those things! I think this is totally stupid because they are only keeping 3 nurses for like 10 or more schools!! We have over like 15 diabetics and i think its stupid that they would only keep 3 nurses for over 10 schools because most diabetics are very little and the number of them is increasing! I think its common sense to keep nurses because without them somebody could get seriously hurt and/or die!!! Any advice to calm me down?

My advice? You don't really need the nurses. In my school district we had ONE nurse. That's it.

She would do the "rounds" at each school, including the junior and highschools i believe, so about 10-13 schools, arrange the shots, etc etc..but she was rarely actually around for more than a few hours every couple of weeks.

I was dx at the age of 6, was one of two diabetics at my school (by the time the older girl left, there was one younger than me). I think I saw her maybe once or twice my 6years at that school, and not even for medical reasons only because I went to the office to call my mom for whatever reason. I know my mom met with her and the principal and my teacher when I was dx (I was only two months into grade 1, and had transferred from another school in the district).

It didn't effect me at all. I got through my elementary, junior and highschool days without ever needing the nurse. As long as the adults around know what needs to happen when a kid is low and can't treat themselves it should be fine. The nurses wouldn't be doing anything those adults can't do if a kid is low or too high or needs to go to the hospital.

Obviously if there are 15 diabetics and the number is growing, the teachers should know just as much as you or the nurse on what to do.

Batts,

The other thing is that you are supposed to walk to the nurse and  check your blood sugar you are not allowed to check in class which is stupid because the nurse is super far from all my classes. And I know what to do with diabetes because of being dx at 4. But the lil girls that don't even check their own blood sugar I feel bad for them and worried about them. Thanks for your advice :)

Welcome to the newest third world country, the USA.

[quote user="Terry"]

Welcome to the newest third world country, the USA.

[/quote]

Haha

[quote user="Olivia"]

Batts,

The other thing is that you are supposed to walk to the nurse and  check your blood sugar you are not allowed to check in class which is stupid because the nurse is super far from all my classes. And I know what to do with diabetes because of being dx at 4. But the lil girls that don't even check their own blood sugar I feel bad for them and worried about them. Thanks for your advice :)

[/quote]

They won't let you check it in class? I know I'm canadian, not american, but I'm still pretty sure they can't tell you that you can't check your blood sugar in class. I would ask them to provide you in writing the reasoning behind it and then you can dispute it if you choose to.

[quote user="Cor"]

[quote user="Olivia"]

Batts,

[/quote]

They won't let you check it in class? I know I'm canadian, not american, but I'm still pretty sure they can't tell you that you can't check your blood sugar in class. I would ask them to provide you in writing the reasoning behind it and then you can dispute it if you choose to.

[/quote]

Thanks for your advice. My mom has already tried. Its not the school nurse that won't let me do it its the principals and the deans. Its stupid because the nurse is in the begining of the bilding and my classes are in the back so I have to have somebody walk with me to the nurse and if i am ok its the waste of a trip and time wasted in my class. its something that im very pissed off about and so is the nurse and my mom

Get your doctor to write a note saying that if you feel you need to check your bg you need to do it immediately as wasting time walking to the nurses office could cause a dangerous medical situation. Just because you've never passed out before you make it to the nurses office doesn't mean it coudn't happen. And that's not even the point. The choice should be yours where and when you check. If you get a doctor's note and they try to go against your doctor's medical advice then you have grounds to put a complaint in. The school doesn't get to overrule your doctor's advice when it comes to your medical needs.

I'm not so much concerned about the nurses (as long as there are diabetic-trained staff in the building) but the ridiculous situation of you not being able to test in the classroom.  I understand that you don't want to share where you live, so it's hard to address what might be the laws in your state.  We're in Virginia.  At first, my son had one teacher who didn't want him to test in the classroom, but that inspired us to get a 504.  Everything has been just peachy keen since then.  He tests where he wants; postpones tests if too high or too low; can takes what he needs on field trips, etc.  Having all of this in place made the convoluted system for applying for accommodations for the SATs and AP exams easier.  He'll be able to stop and test his blood sugar if needed and be allowed to have snacks/juice if needed.  The SAT is just too freaking long and too important to think about not having accommodations in place, imo.

And I would still make sure to get their reasoning on why they make you go to the nurses office to test in writing. That way you can take it to the school board to dispute itif you chose to. And if your doctor disagrees with the reasoning then he/she can say so and also possibly state why that could possibly interefere with your safety. And even though it's highly unlikely that you will run into any problems medically while walking to the nurses office there is always the possibility, even if it's a small possibility, something could happen. And any doctor should be fine explaining that there is a risk involved and write a recommendation that you test immediately if you feel the need to.

Olivia is you live in the USA you have legal protections that can help you if you really want to test in class. Ontario has some legal protections too.

You can also turn off the beeping noise on your meter if that is a distraction. My daughter wouldn't test in class until I figured out how to turn it off.

I have read on this board that there are lawyers that work for diabetes organizations that can help back you up too. Someone here with a lot more experience might be able to guide you and your mom. 

Cor,

Thanks so much for taking your time to read this and to give me advice. I will be doing what you sugjested. thank you.

Thank you Terry

Thank you Angie

In our school at Turning Winds, they had a residential nurses that are on-call. Our head principal review our each data or personal profile on the school to know who needs the attention and care to each student. So they could be treated and be more aware of what they are concerned. This is actually a good thing because they really take care of us, The institution see to it that we are taken care of.

[quote user="Olivia"]

Hi everybody,

This is really getting on my nerves!!! Where I live we didn't pass our levey which means the schools are cutting things!!!!!!! Nurses being one of those things! I think this is totally stupid because they are only keeping 3 nurses for like 10 or more schools!! We have over like 15 diabetics and i think its stupid that they would only keep 3 nurses for over 10 schools because most diabetics are very little and the number of them is increasing! I think its common sense to keep nurses because without them somebody could get seriously hurt and/or die!!! Any advice to calm me down?

[/quote]

Hmm..I wonder what would happen if one of those diabetic kids had a low requiring glucagon?  Will any and all teachers be prepared to administer a glucagon shot?  The time it would take to wait for the ambulance to get there is too long.  Little kids are especially prone to brain damage from lows because their brains are developing so rapidly.  I think I agree with you here Olivia...

Molly

I agree too, it is definitely not the place to cut. I remember being in the nurses office quite often in school. Many states don't allow someone to administer a "drug" without a license so a nurse is needed. In my 30 years as a T1, I find that we are not always thought of in a lot of circumstances.

Write or call anyone who you think may be able to help, the local tv station or newspaper maybe a place to start.

I agree too, it is definitely not the place to cut. I remember being in the nurses office quite often in school. Many states don't allow someone to administer a "drug" without a license so a nurse is needed. In my 30 years as a T1, I find that we are not always thought of in a lot of circumstances.

Write or call anyone who you think may be able to help, the local tv station or newspaper maybe a place to start.

Well everyone knows teachers go into the business because of the huge financial rewards. They should suffer like the poor investment bankers on Wall Street that last year paid themselves in bonuses 8% of the USA money supply after rescuing our economy by reluctantly accepting trillions of dollars from the government. 

[quote user="Angie13"]

I'm not so much concerned about the nurses (as long as there are diabetic-trained staff in the building) but the ridiculous situation of you not being able to test in the classroom.  I understand that you don't want to share where you live, so it's hard to address what might be the laws in your state.  We're in Virginia.  At first, my son had one teacher who didn't want him to test in the classroom, but that inspired us to get a 504.  Everything has been just peachy keen since then.  He tests where he wants; postpones tests if too high or too low; can takes what he needs on field trips, etc.  Having all of this in place made the convoluted system for applying for accommodations for the SATs and AP exams easier.  He'll be able to stop and test his blood sugar if needed and be allowed to have snacks/juice if needed.  The SAT is just too freaking long and too important to think about not having accommodations in place, imo.

[/quote]

I agree with everything Angie13 said! See if your parents can't help you get a 504 plan to allow you to test, treat, etc in class. I bet asking your endo for a note will help!