Choosing Delivery Method

I am 35 weeks and 4 days pregnant with my second child and so nervous/excited. My blood sugars have been very good with my A1C staying around 5.5/6 but my baby is still very big (they are saying he is 9 pounds and some odd ounces now). I am getting scared with all this talk of potential should dystocia and needing a c-section. I delivered my first son vaginally at 37 weeks. He was very healthy and we had no complications. I have eaten healthy and exercised regularly throughout this pregnancy as well. Does anyone have any encouraging advice for me? The thought of a c section terrifies me but of course I want my baby to be ok.

@shayla172 hi Shayla and welcome to TypeOneNation. In my unqualified opinion, follow your ob/gym recommendations and also deliver in a medical facility capable of a c section. My son got “stuck” 10 years ago and we need a c section and I was there and, if I may, the procedure was fast and simple under anesthesia. My wife was standing up 8 hours later (that’s the painful part- getting moving again) and all is well.

Good luck and congratulations and you got this

Thanks so much for the advice! We have planned an induction for Dec 1! We are so excited. I’m delivering at a great hospital. I really trust my doctors. After going over all the information we could we decided to try for a regular delivery and move to a c section if needed. We are so excited to meet our little one!

4 Likes

Hi Shayla,

I had a c-section last November for my son. We tried an induction, but I grew impatient because my body wasn’t responding to the meds, so I opted to just go ahead for the c-section. He was my first, so I don’t know about a typical delivery, but I think if I ever have another I’ll just opt for the c-section! In my experience, it was truly no big deal. I was up walking around that night! I had him at 38 weeks, 1 day and he was 8 lbs 2 oz. Don’t let anybody make you feel bad about a big baby either. Being type 1 and constantly monitoring my sugar was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, and of course worth it!

It works both ways! C-sections aren’t the end of the world. Congrats and enjoy!!

If you want to deliver vaginally, then do it! It will require education and confidence (not over confidence). Estimates on baby size at the later stages varies 1 to 2 pounds or more. Doctors usually estimate on the larger end. You can do it!

what if say for instance, I want to have a home-birth would you think that is possible?