Children most likely to get type 1 in the winter

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6807280

I did!

March for me..so thats near spring

I was diagnosed in Spring too, however I was sick off and on since the winter before.

I was- Christmas day, actually.

I was diagnosed in December... but that's summer for us here in NZ :)

My daughter and wife were both diagnosed in summer.Which doesn't jive with the study. However...

I'm not surprised about the winter correlation. Type-1 diabetes has been discovered to triggered by external stress. In fact specific viral infections have been identified that set off the autoimmune response that can result in T1 diabetes. Winter after all is a perfect breeding ground for infection when everyone huddles around indoors in sniffle-ridden classrooms.

I was in June.

I was diagnosed in November. I know a lot of people diagnosed around the same time as me as well. I couldn't read the article though it haad an error. What did it say?

i was diagnosed in april but i live in new england so gthe snow had just melted like a month before.. but i had been sick all winter

gina, i got an error too.

It was summer time for my daughter-there was a family get together and there were some people sick.I have always wished we had stayed away -did a virus set all this in motion-who knows...

[quote user="meme"]

It was summer time for my daughter-there was a family get together and there were some people sick.I have always wished we had stayed away -did a virus set all this in motion-who knows...

[/quote]i had a virus right before i was diagnosed too.. that's what my doctors think set it off for me

October for me

The link that was up originally must have been cut short. Here's the weblink that should work:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6807280.ece

I was diagnosed in November, but according to my mom i was sick in late summer/fall

<3

AH, that makes sense: physical stress and illnesses, even just lower temperatures, all lower the body temperature. I had read not to long ago that raised temperature reduces the incidence of diabetes in the NOD mice.

but whatever- way I was diagnosed in May. =)

[quote user="Red"]

My daughter and wife were both diagnosed in summer.Which doesn't jive with the study. However...

I'm not surprised about the winter correlation. Type-1 diabetes has been discovered to triggered by external stress. In fact specific viral infections have been identified that set off the autoimmune response that can result in T1 diabetes. Winter after all is a perfect breeding ground for infection when everyone huddles around indoors in sniffle-ridden classrooms.

[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, that a winter virus could trigger it. Maybe, in other cases, it was a different trigger?

I have no idea when I was dx'ed. I'll have ask good ole Mom... (:

Another possible reason for more winter onsets is vitamin D. Vitamin D is produced when your skin gets sunlight, and had a huge impact on the immune response. If you get less sun, like in winter, you get less vitamin d, which means a less healthy immune system (which then, clearly, attacks your pancreas. because it's sad.) Ok, so I don't understand the final step (and i don't know if anyone does) but it wasn't mentioned in the article, so I thought i'd bring it up.

October. Trick or treat? I got both, but only because I was low. :)