Bizarre Blood Sugar Spikes

Has anyone had just bizarre blood sugar spikes start out of the blue? I'm down to not being able to really eat any carbohydrates except for salad greens without getting a completely disproportionate blood sugar spike. Suddenly, most of my normal foods been causing a HUGE blood sugar spike where I normally never had a problem.

For example, for breakfast I had a Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bar. It's 29g of carbohydrate.

Normally, I'd take 2 units of insulin to cover it and could I could expect my blood glucose to be on my target 2 hours after. I've been able to eat these my whole life!

This morning, since I've been having problems, I took 3 units of insulin, which SHOULD have covered 45g of carbohydrate. I just retested and even with the increased dose, my blood glucose had still spiked to 201 mg/dL. So taking my adjustments into account, I should have given myself 5 units.

I'm absolutely stumped! Aside from the highs and high-associated icky feeling, I feel fine! Has anyone ever had this happen before?

This happened to me before, it was way out of control it seamed like insulin did not do anything anymore.  So I fist started to just take sugar out of my diet (except fruits) so for breakfast I would have a fruit smoothie, with protein powder.  Then I had lunch just veggies and meat. Same for dinner, you can also snack on nuts!   The longer I did this the less insulin I needed.  It has been about 9 months and I am totally of insulin.

It works for me and I feel great! But not everyone is the same...putting lots of healthy fat into your diet is great!

Maybe you are getting sick?   That can cause it to go up.  Or are you in the heat wave so many of us are having?  Because we have totally changed our lifestyle because it is too hot to move outside, and we are stuck in almost cool house, so our activity level is lower.  

Maybe you are getting sick?   That can cause it to go up.  Or are you in the heat wave so many of us are having?  Because we have totally changed our lifestyle because it is too hot to move outside, and we are stuck in almost cool house, so our activity level is lower.  

Good point!

If you're younger than 18 it could be growth hormones, which inhibit insulin sensitivity.

Have you experienced dawn phenomenon in the past?  It affects type 1s and is common after you've had diabetes for a while.  Your body secretes high levels of stored glucose from the liver and makes blood sugars high from about 2 - 8am.  Most people deal with it by raising their early morning basal rate, lowering their morning carb ratio (instead of 1:15, in the mornings you may need 1:10 or some other level), and eating low carb in the morning.

My DP started when I was in college and had had diabetes about 15 years.  I've had it ever since.  Not sure what the average age is for it to start.  It's not that big of deal once you learn to work around it.

@ Jess: More or less already doing that.  Even fruit is counting towards those bizarre spikes.  A banana as a snack put me up at 325 mg/dL over the weekend even dosing for the amount I had.

@ Dianemarie: I don't think I'm getting sick.  I have no fever, nothing sore, nothing showing up on blood work or urine analysis.  And I live in Dallas, TX.  Everyone's heatwave temperatures are normal summer temperatures here.

@ Jenna: I'm 32, so it's definitely not that.

I've never had dawn phenomenon before, but that might be it -- though these spikes aren't limited to the mornings.  Any carbohydrates, even fruit, knock me stupidly high.  I'll increase my AM basal rates and see what happens.

Does anyone see a difference in blood sugar readings with different brand meters? Just got the Bayer Contour Next Link and my readings are wayyyyy different from my One Touch Ultra Link.