Best Monitor

I am looking into getting a new glucose monitor but I have no idea which one I should get.

What monitors do you have? How do you like it?

Please do tell :)

Thanks

We use the OneTouch Ultra Smart. My favorite feature is the built-in log book. I can record all the carbs and insulin doses with a few pushes of buttons. You can download the log to a computer if you wish, but I write it down at the end of the day. I like the test strips too because they take just a tiny drop of blood.

[quote user="Trish"]

We use the OneTouch Ultra Smart. My favorite feature is the built-in log book. I can record all the carbs and insulin doses with a few pushes of buttons. You can download the log to a computer if you wish, but I write it down at the end of the day. I like the test strips too because they take just a tiny drop of blood.

[/quote]

ditto. minus the downloading, i dont have the software so i don't download it..plus my endo doesn't care about the graphics and such..just the log book(before that meter, i'd come into my appointments with a couple days worth of numbers randomly written down on napkins...)

also love the ultrasmart, and it's easy to keep the logs going once you get in the habit - but you need to stay on it for the first few weeks until it becomes habit to enter that information.

It it a little big, but worth the extra space.  I'm now using the Ping meter-remote which is basically the same as the ultrasmart.  Personally, I like the downloads and charts, etc. even if no one else wants to look at them, I think that they help me make better decisions myself.

If you are in to the downloadable log book angle, check out the Contour USB.

I have one and love it.  You can run a log for your doc (or yourself) from any computer with a USB port - no need to install anything.  If you want fancier reports, you can download the software right from the meter to your computer.  No cable, either.

Love it, love it, love it!

I use the Freestyle Flash.  It doesn't seem that they sell that exact meter anymore, but the Freestyle Light is about the same.  I love my Flash because it's really small - (Width 1.6”x Length 3.0” x 0.8”) - so it's easy to fit in a purse and carry around.  I don't need anything that has fancy add-ons. The meter has more than enough memory for my numbers, and it's easy to hook the meter up to the computer to use the medtronic Carelink data analysis program.

The biggest thing I like about my meter is the backlight and "port light" - a little LED light that shines over the test strip.  I can use it to see if my finger has blood on it, after I poke it (the backlight doesn't really show that) and it makes it a lot easier to test in bed or in someplace like a movie theater.  All of the Freestyle meters seem to have this port light.

[quote user="Kassie"]

If you are in to the downloadable log book angle, check out the Contour USB.

I have one and love it.  You can run a log for your doc (or yourself) from any computer with a USB port - no need to install anything.  If you want fancier reports, you can download the software right from the meter to your computer.  No cable, either.

Love it, love it, love it!

[/quote]

hi Kassie,I have been thinking about this meter.Most of the ones we have came from the Endo. I have bought a few too. Are these in stores or did you order it online ? Thanks :)

I was lucky enough to snag a free one b/c I  go way back with Bayer, but I liked it enough to buy a second one for my son, from drugstore.com

I wrote this review of Prodigy Autocode on hocks.com, where I buy my strips:

When you're looking for a glucometer, really you're just looking for a few things. One, how much do the strips cost, because if you're lucky enough to HAVE insurance (which I don't), chances are that your plan will refuse to pay for as many strips as you really NEED to be using to be a healthy diabetic (I test CONSTANTLY). These strips are cheap -- cheapest I've ever seen. But wait, there's more! It only takes 5 seconds to count down, and it only uses a tiny little bit of blood, way less than what I'd been used to. No coding, if that kinda thing concerns you, and if you can't see very well, it'll talk to you. If you can see just fine, you can turn the talking off, which is what I do. Also, you know what's rad? It tells you the temperature in the room when you first put the strip in, I kinda like that. My local non-corporate pharmacy carries exactly one box of these strips at all times for me in case I forget to order off the internet in time, but mostly, I buy these here at Hocks -- something this good, unfortunately, isn't widely carried. But since you're reading this, I'm guessing you're able to handle getting them from the internet. Also, as far as accuracy goes, I suppose one can never be sure, but I find that if I test right away again after testing, my blood sugar is the same and my sugars reflect what I feel.