Anyone remember there "honeymoon" phase and how long it lasted?

Just wondering if anyone remembered how long there honeymoon phases lasted?

something like 2-3 years

I think the scientific literature notes up to 2 years, depending on the progress of the beta cell depletion at the time of diagnosis (i.e. early diagnosis vs late diagnosis with diabetic ketoacidosis), and the degree of normal blood glucose maintenance post-diagnosis.  Age at diagnosis is another factor.  The autoimmune process seems to be more aggressive in childhood onset versus onset after age 18.

I am currently at 14.5 months an counting.

Not  to sound stupid or ignorant, but what exactly is a honeymoon phase.  It has been over 34 yrs that I have been a diabetic and I dont ever remember having a "honeymoon"  what happened to you during this phase?  what are the symptoms?

I was diagnosed 2 months before my 21st birthday and never had a honeymoon period.

Dawn, the honeymoon phase is a period soon after diagnosis where need for injected insulin is reduced after correcting the typical hyperglycemia observed at the time of diagnosis.  Hyperglycemia is itself toxic to beta cells, so the insulin injections restore blood glucose to the normal range, and as a result the remaining stressed beta cells are revived.  The honeymoon is characterized by relatively normal blood glucose readings, low injected insulin demand, and little to no hypoglycemia.  So, like with newly-weds, "everything's good".  

The honeymoon phase gradually diminishes as the autoimmune attack on the remaining beta cells progresses to near-complete beta cell destruction or non-function.

Had a lot of severe hypo attacks during my honeymoon phase. It took about a year before my  body get use to it.

Good to know, thanks.  Does everyone have a honeymoon phase?  I dont think I did ?!?!

The honeymoon can be minimal if one has near-complete beta cell depletion at the time of diagnosis.  For example, the honeymoon tends to be less evident in those diagnosed in diabetic ketoacidosis.

Thanks for all the responses! This is a great group!

[quote user="Randy"]

Dawn, the honeymoon phase is a period soon after diagnosis where need for injected insulin is reduced after correcting the typical hyperglycemia observed at the time of diagnosis.  Hyperglycemia is itself toxic to beta cells, so the insulin injections restore blood glucose to the normal range, and as a result the remaining stressed beta cells are revived.  The honeymoon is characterized by relatively normal blood glucose readings, low injected insulin demand, and little to no hypoglycemia.  So, like with newly-weds, "everything's good".  

The honeymoon phase gradually diminishes as the autoimmune attack on the remaining beta cells progresses to near-complete beta cell destruction or non-function.

[/quote]

That's the best description of the honeymoon phase I've ever seen!

We're talking Diabetes, right? :)  

I had a veeery short honeymoon phase... maybe a year tops.  I was diagnosed at age 28, almost 29, and was suffering from ketoacidosis when diagnosed.

Yeah Dawn - I am sure there was nothing like this for me either, other than thinking I didn't have to take a water jug to the bathroom with me anymore.

I was diagnosed with my sugar at 880 - went straight to the ICU. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. So my honeymoon period wasn't noticeable if it even existed. My niece however was diagnosed very early into the disease (helps when your aunt has it too - symptoms are a lot less subtle to me) & her honeymoon period was really long - well beyond 3 years.

Hi Dawn, I could not help but notice your last name.  My maiden name is Ripley and i was diagnosed with Type 1 5 weeks ago at age 49.  My grandfather, a Ripley, was type 1 and my sister has been type 1 for 32 years.  It would be interesting if our family history was connected.  Just curious.  As far as honeymoon is concerned, I must be in one as I am low much of the time and requiring very little insulin; although, I work out and run 5 times a week which i know can instigate lows.  Just trying to figure it all out!  

I was diagnosed at the age of 12 after going into ketoacidosis which also resulted in a coma, but I did have a honeymoon period for about a year and a half once my sugars were under control. It was funny at the time I kept having hypoglycemic reactions and my grandma thought (wishful thinking) maybe the doctors had made a mistake. Of course now I do experience insulin sensitivity.