Anyone else experience this?

Just curious......when I do a finger poke or put my pump site in I can tell if it's a "good spot" or not just by gliding it over my skin.  It's like my body has a memory of when I used that spot in the past and somehow knows if it will hurt or not.  I know this sounds crazy.  Even when I put my daughters pump sight in and she picks a spot that I know would hurt like crazy on me I can just feel it in my own body....kind of like my body screaming "don't use that spot or it's going to hurt like crazy!!"  You almost become an expert in knowing where your nerves, veins, etc. lay under your skin so you can either avoid that area, know how deep or at what angle you need to insert (mainly using silhouette infusion sets from minimed)  Anyone else experience this??

I have experienced this like a hundred times. It's exactly like you described it. Like my body and my mind know where it's gonna hurt the least. It's kind of weird. It's kind of cool.

Yes. I knew I couldn't be the only one :) I close my eyes and gently go over my stomach with my fingertips until I find a "good spot". Then once the set is in I say aloud "good spot" or "good set". Yes, I talk to myself :)

Yeah I'm the same way when doing a set change, and when it's all done and it's a good site with no pain or problems with inserting then I say "Good change & good site".  And yes I talk to myself about my changes to so don't feel that your alone Happy Vegan.

CJ

I'm the same way. I run my finger tips over a place where i wanna insert my site and if it hurts i don't try to insert it there. I don't use the silhouette, but i used to, and i remember crying cause it hurt so bad when my mom would insert it. the quick set is 100 times better and i rarely ever feel pain when i insert my site. mainly cuz i've used them for 5 years.

I always move toward a meatier part of my body, and trust me there is a lot LOL But, yea I totally know where the hurt spots are too. Mainly because I have tried it once before and it killed, or bled or got real tender. I overuse sites and I am trying to find new places. I started using my legs but, I have been having a problem with my sites getting pulled out from underwear and my jeans ugh!!!

I have never tried this. This sounds fascinating. Anyone ever walk by a door and get an infusion pulled out? I HATE that!!! Also, my dog has put a paw over the tubing as well...I've learned to grab the tubing fast before she pulls backward and then grab her so that she doesn't get hurt. But I am due for a site change and will try this. Does anyone know any good spots on lower stomach? I haven't been using it because it seems to not absorb or something. And do your sugars run okay on the leg?

[quote user="Crochet Nut"]

Does anyone know any good spots on lower stomach? I haven't been using it because it seems to not absorb or something. And do your sugars run okay on the leg?

[/quote]

Hi Crochet Nut,

I use my lower stomach almost all the time, right above my hip bone. It is really the only place for me to use that does not hurt. I have noticed, for me anyways, that it is harder for absortion in the upper stomach. I tried it my leg, once and only once. I ended up hitting a vein and passing out. I think that the set you use has a lot to do with it too. Right now i am using Quick-Sets, and was told they are alright to use in the leg, but I do not think I will be trying that again :)

Oy. A vein. I think I am prone to accidents. It's too bad there's not a hardware device like a stud sensor except for nerves and veins. I used to watch a friend use a sensor like that to figure out where to hang pictures.

Oy. A vein. I think I am prone to accidents. It's too bad there's not a hardware device like a stud sensor except for nerves and veins. I used to watch a friend use a sensor like that to figure out where to hang pictures.

[/quote]

That is such a good idea! Wow good thinking there :)

I have never tried this. This sounds fascinating. Anyone ever walk by a door and get an infusion pulled out? I HATE that!!! Also, my dog has put a paw over the tubing as well...I've learned to grab the tubing fast before she pulls backward and then grab her so that she doesn't get hurt. But I am due for a site change and will try this. Does anyone know any good spots on lower stomach? I haven't been using it because it seems to not absorb or something. And do your sugars run okay on the leg?

[/quote]

i have had my site pulled out by a drawer handle actually. it beld for a while after it was pulled out. my dog never gets her paw wound up in my tubing.

have you tried the back of your thigh?? my numbers always run better when i use the back of my thigh rather than when i use the front/top whatever u wanna call it.

I might try the leg suggestion this weekend. I use a Cleo quickset...I didn't think I'd like it, but I do...I'll let you know how I run afterwards.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt this! I told my endo about it, because whenever I'm in the hospital, I don't let them give me my shots since I know where to do it, but she kind of just gave me a weird look.

I'm glad I'm not alone, or crazy ;]

I used to use silhouettes and i would always cry when i inserted them. i even used my arm once and the second time i tryed my arm it hurt sooooooooooo bad cause i hit a vein, so i haven't used my arm sense then.

-Macy

I definitely know what you are talking about!  Just out of curiosity because this has never happened to me...what exactly happens if you hit a vein?

it bleeds and bruises

ive never hit a vein before, but i have hit a muscle.

Ick. >_< Maybe I have hit a vein before, but I've never had to take the set out because of it. 

Okay, when I read the question about having ever walked by a door and had your set pulled out, that made me laugh out loud!  I did that so much as a new pump user, and still manage to do that now and again.  I think the time of day matters too, as I seem to be more prone to getting the tubing caught up in something when I first get up in the morning.  Door handles, drawers, railings, you name it.  I am so glad I'm not the only one!

[quote user="Katie"]

I definitely know what you are talking about!  Just out of curiosity because this has never happened to me...what exactly happens if you hit a vein?

[/quote]

It hurts like hell!!!!!

-Macy