Anybody with experience getting financial assistance

Hello everyone! Thank you for any feedback. My baby girl (3 1/2 year old) was diagnosed with T1D 2 years ago and i had to quit my job 2 years ago to take care of her. As a mom i am always there for her but i am trying to figure out if i anyone knows if i can qualify for any financial assistance from Social Security as a caregiver or from the state of California? My husband works but a single income has been hard for us. Anyone been this road or any suggestions? I dont know if i can even qualify for SS?

Thank you,
Gem

Hi @Gem01. You may just want to call your local social security office for guidance. Of course I don’t know anything about your daughter’s diabetes, but I wanted to share that I was diagnosed at age 3 myself and am pushing 60 and doing well. Until I was out of college I took 1 shot on insulin a day and learned early (although perhaps not as young as 3) to let someone know if I “felt funny,” which usually meant I was low. We didn’t have BG meters until I was in college or close to graduation. Now of course there are lots of tools to manage our diabetes. They can be intimidating for patients, parents, and caregivers, but taking care - of ourselves or others - can be learned. There are lots of parents on the forum - some with kids diagnosed around the age of yours - who will be willing to share their experiences, learnings, and suggestions - just enter “parents” or “children” in the search block. Hopefully in time you can return to work if you want or need to.

1 Like