Animas warning

received this e-mail just now... risk of death - no kidding!

Dear Animas Pumper:

Animas is dedicated to supporting pumpers with quality customer service and products.  As part of that commitment, we reach out whenever we have urgent information about our products.

We have learned of several cases in which pumpers have accidentally delivered excessive insulin when they ignored pump warnings and did not disconnect from their infusion set before loading the pump cartridge.  In each of these cases, the pump had been damaged.  Because of this damage, the pump delivered the whole cartridge of insulin (!!!!) during the “load cartridge” step of the priming sequence.

Failure to follow safety instructions and disconnect your infusion set from your body during the “rewind, load and prime” steps can lead to unintended delivery of insulin.  This can cause serious injury or death.

Well, the pump says "Disconnect from body before rewind/priming/loading" so anyone who doesn't follow instructions that are given by the pump probably shouldn't be on said pump.

Follow instructions and you're safe...go figure!

Yep, I'm sure this isn't the only brand of pump in which that would happen either... it's kind of common sense.  Duh.

I can't help but think of people who have hurt themselves by not disconnecting as the people who sued McDonald's because the coffee was "hot." Coffee is hot?  NO WAY! Dummies

/sarcasm

[quote user="Pat"]

I can't help but think of people who have hurt themselves by not disconnecting as the people who sued McDonald's because the coffee was "hot." Coffee is hot?  NO WAY! Dummies

/sarcasm

[/quote]

I thought about the people who must have eaten the silicone in medicine bottles. Warning not for consumption. Do Not Eat!! LOL

this, and many other cases, is where natural selection would've done us some good. just saying.

yay I'm glad the snarky people got in here before the people who would defend the dummies :)

I wanted to mention something of Darwinism taking place :D If people want to touch the power lines despite the "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE" sign, let 'em do it. Same analogy can be applied here. Don't disconnect and give yourself a huge bolus? Your coma/death is your fault.

Batts and Pat:

I am so jealous of your overly developed sense of sarcasm!  lolololololololololol  This one will have me laughing all day!

This is posted on the Animas website:  http://www.animascorp.com/urgent-news
March 18, 2010
Important Information about the OneTouch® PingTM Glucose Management System
and the Animas® 2020 Insulin Pump

Dear Animas Pumper:

Animas is dedicated to supporting pumpers with quality customer service and products.  As part of that commitment, we reach out whenever we have urgent information about our products.

We have learned of several cases in which pumpers have accidentally delivered excessive insulin when they ignored pump warnings and did not disconnect from their infusion set before loading the pump cartridge. In each of these cases, the pump had been damaged.  Because of this damage, the pump delivered the whole cartridge of insulin during the “load cartridge” step of the priming sequence.

Failure to follow safety instructions and disconnect your infusion set from your body during the “rewind, load and prime” steps can lead to unintended delivery of insulin. This can cause serious injury or death.

These steps can be reviewed on our online demonstration video, by searching for "Prime/Rewind."

This warning is in your Owner’s Booklet or User Guide and was part of your pump training. The pump also warns you to disconnect before these steps (see below). NEVER IGNORE THESE WARNINGS.

There is NO SAFETY RISK from this condition if you ALWAYS disconnect your infusion set from your body when:

-          rewinding the motor
-          loading the cartridge
-          priming the infusion set tubing
-          tightening the cartridge cap

Please note, this issue does NOT occur during basal and bolus insulin delivery. 

How Will I Know if My Pump is Affected?

-          If you see a pump warning message that says: “No Cartridge Detected. Delivery Disabled” after the “Load Cartridge” step; or
-          If you see repeated “no prime” warnings (see below) that are not related to an occlusion alarm, auto-off alarm or loose cartridge cap; or

-          In some cases, you may also notice that the pump’s screen is hard to read or goes blank.

If you notice any of these things, contact Animas Customer Support at 1-866-949-1525 or call the toll free number on the back of the pump.  As always, if you need immediate medical attention call your healthcare provider or 911.

What do I do now?

The key things to remember are:
-          Follow your Owner’s Booklet or User Guide instructions
-          Pay attention to all pump warnings
-          NEVER rewind the pump motor, load the insulin cartridge, or prime your infusion set while connected.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please call the Animas Customer Support Department. A trained healthcare professional will take your call at 1-866-949-1525 or you can call the toll free number on the back of your pump at 1-877-937-7867.  If you are traveling outside of the U.S., please call 610-644-8990, option 1.

We have also sent a letter to your healthcare provider to inform them of this issue.

Sincerely,

Animas Corporation

Click here to download

[quote user="Pat"]

yay I'm glad the snarky people got in here before the people who would defend the dummies :)

I wanted to mention something of Darwinism taking place :D If people want to touch the power lines despite the "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE" sign, let 'em do it. Same analogy can be applied here. Don't disconnect and give yourself a huge bolus? Your coma/death is your fault.

[/quote]

it's just too hard NOT to mention natural selection during things like this! i realize that i would probably not have made it this far if we didn't interfer with nature and insulin was discovered..but sometimes I wish we still had natural selection and stopped interfering!

[quote user="Nads"]

Batts and Pat:

I am so jealous of your overly developed sense of sarcasm!  lolololololololololol  This one will have me laughing all day!

[/quote]

i was kinda joking..but i was also kinda serious. sometimes we need natural selection...haha

my new favorite post of the day.

i got that email last night and laughed out loud.

When I saw my email this morning, my reaction was more of a WTF!

So I missed my chance to add my own comments to this as I was MIA on my own Lenten quest. The thing with this is more so not only the excessive insulin being accidentally delivered. But if one is just priming and such, don't you think common sense would dictate panicking when one gets passed the set dose you are doing this "brilliant" action and disconnecting or something. I mean it is good that Animas sent out the warning for all of us who may run into the malfunction of the pump over priming in general which is a concern.

However those that prime/ rewind that without disconnecting makes no sense to me. I mean where is the benefit in not disconnecting? I mean you need to change the infudion set anyway, so disconnection needs to happen at some point. Why not in the beginning. Even if the goal is to save the tubing or site, hello the possibility of accidentally giving extra insulin and being unaware of it, kind freaks me out. That is just ohhhh.... I can't even begin thinking about it. So many phrases come to mind and all of them make fun of intelligence and common sense. Natural selection and all of that stuff are nothing compared to what I would like to say.