Alternative Therapies/Medicines or Natural Remedies?

Hi there!

I am a pretty recently diagnosed diabetic and have done a lot of research about alternative therapies/medicines and natural remedies, because I don't particularly like the idea of injecting a foreign substance into my body all the time.

Has anyone tried alternative or natural therapies? Has anyone noticed a difference or found them to be credible?

I would love som feedback!

When I was diagnosed at the age of 6, my mom who is into natural remedies whenever possible, went to see a naturopathic doctor about alternatives to treating my diabetes with daily injections.

The doctor she went to, as it turns out had a diabetic daughter himself, made it very clear to my mom that he would never even attempt to treat a type 1 diabetic, even his own daughter, with an alternative to daily injections of insulin as there there is no natural replacement for insulin injections.

All of the natural remedies I see ads for, are usually directed to Type 2's who don't always require insulin and often can treat theirs with diet and exercise.

I use natural remedies and alternative therapy whenever possible, but I will never and have never used anything in replacement of my insulin.

I fully support the use of natural remidies.  But I agree with Batts.  There is absolutely NO substitute for insulin.  I don't have any specifics, but you can use supplements, and natural remidies in conjunction with you insulin. 

Please remember to keep you MD and pharmacist aware of all medications, herbs, and natural remidies as they can interact and cause more harm than good.

Good luck, Erica!

Unfortunately I have to agree as well. Injecting insulin is pretty much the only way to live with this disease.

This may come out not completely right, but isn't insulin a natural remedy anyway even though it is injectable?

I highly doubt it's thought of anymore that way(if it ever was) since most insulin is biosynthetic. if they were all still animal-sourced maybe, since it's taking it from nature..but still probably not. if it were plant-sourced you could probably.

True. I was thinking more natural along the lines of something that needs to be used to replace what the body no longer does. I think the "best" natural way to control sugars is a mixture of insulin and excercise. However, using herbal medications or anything like that, I have never heard of anything being out there that would allow one to stop using insulin.

[quote user="Brian"]

True. I was thinking more natural along the lines of something that needs to be used to replace what the body no longer does. I think the "best" natural way to control sugars is a mixture of insulin and excercise. However, using herbal medications or anything like that, I have never heard of anything being out there that would allow one to stop using insulin.

[/quote]

It's not considered a Natural Remedy if it's not a plant or such found in nature that can help you treat illnesses such as the cold, depression, etc without using chemicals.

While it seems natural now for us to give ourselves insulin, it's no where near what a natural remedy is. If it were a pill we took that came from a plant and  we didn't do or add anything unnatural to the plant(other than like boil it or something) then it would be considered a "natural remedy".