AHH not the nicest question lol

ok

soo has anyone had a barium enema... and if so what did you do for your sugars

Yeah I've had one. I was diagnosed with acid reflux disease when I was 5, and I recently had to have another one because I was having a lot of issues.  That takes too long to explain right now, lol. So anyways, the doctor told me not to eat after 12:00 a.m. and so at 11 I ate a big bowl of pasta with no insulin. Lol, sounds healthy right? I did that so I could make it through the night and into the morning for my appt at 10. I didn't need to take any insulin when I drank the barium because I hadn't eaten in quite a few hours so I knew my bg was low. Afterward I just ate breakfast and gave myself one unit more then what I was covering to eat just to give it that little extra.

haha sorry i had the wrong test in mind when i posted =/

i would follow whatever instructions your endo gives you, as he will have your sugars in mind.

I did have a test once for my kidneys that was kinda similar i guess (they didn't cut me open but they sent a camera up or something so they could check out my weird tube - i have one tube which is normal from one kidney and two from another which apparently isn't normal..haha) and i wasn't allowed to eat or drink after 10pm the night before (procedure was at 7 or 8 am). I followed my endo's instructions which was to go about my regular routine, take my nightly lantus as usual and i believe i did take my lantus at the usual time before the procedure. they had someone testing me while i was out and when i came too, they had me eat.

Definitely check with your endo and make sure the GI doc knows about your D. But, generally, if you aren't eating, they'll tell you to take half your basal or long-acting dose, and no bolus or short-acting. When I went into my endoscopy last year (couldn't eat from the night before), I tried to aim slightly high (like 190-200)  that morning so I didn't worry about going low during the procedure.

I had one, and my blood sugars were actually fantastic.  No eating meant pretty constant blood sugars for me.  I ate sugar free jello, and sipped apple juice if I was on my way down.  You are allowed jello and clear fluids including clear juice. 

ok now.. in all honestly and this isnt diabetes related.. lol does it hurt. cause im scared!

[quote user="Tara"]

ok now.. in all honestly and this isnt diabetes related.. lol does it hurt. cause im scared!

[/quote]

guess you've never had an adventurous boyfriend :P

all kidding aside, from reading up on it, i think they do whatever they can to make it is as comfortable (relatively speaking) as possible. they lube it up etc., and i'm sure they aren't just going to shove it in. they aren't out to hurt you and i think the more you get worked up over it, the more discomfort you'll have.

just relax, take deep breaths, and if you have a sense of humor during the ordeal, tell whatever radiologist is putting the enema tube in you something like "I expect you to cuddle afterward."

It doesn't hut, it's just really awkward and uncomfortable.  The doctor and nurse I had were really awesome which always helps, hopefully you get good ones too!

THIS WAS THE WORST TEST EVER! lol my prep was WAY easier than the actual test butttttt i also went low like 3 times a day and i didnt even give humalog. it was SO weird

SO glad this is over with!

You mean they didn't snuggle after? Those bastards!

[quote user="Pat"]

[/quote]

C'mon Pat. You've never done something so awkward that you get up and leave as soon as it's over? Lol. What do you do on your weekends? Just jokes.

[quote user="Cor"]

[quote user="Pat"]

[/quote]

C'mon Pat. You've never done something so awkward that you get up and leave as soon as it's over? Lol. What do you do on your weekends? Just jokes.

[/quote]

oooOOooooooOooooOOOOOooooo burn.

[quote user="Cor"]

[quote user="Pat"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hey-ooooooh!

I have to cover my eyes to read this thread!

[quote user="Cor"]

[quote user="Pat"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I try to be a gentleman whenever possible. The walk of shame is not an easy one and I try to build them up for it :P

LOL definitely no snuggling and frankly im QUITE ok wtih that

and in the end.. nothing is wrong with my intestines.. so realy i dont know WHY i have such bad tummy troubles.. went through all that for nothing... lol

have you been tested for celiac diease? if you hadn't been tested, I would ask to be.

i had some REALLY bad stomach problems for a while (at one point I went to the hospital at one point in the middle of the night because the pain was so bad, I collapsed when I tried to get out of bed to get some painkillers) and i was tested for both gal stones and celiac because stomach problems are symptoms of both.

turns out it was neither, but I cut down how much bread I eat and the problem went away. I still do get the stomach pains when i have too much bread in my diet though..i also get instant pains when i drink really heavy, wheaty beer (corona is great because it's made from corn not wheat apparently) which apparently suggests a sensitivity to bread but not celiac.

If it's not celiac, maybe it's a sensitivity to something you're eating?

That is very gentlemanly of you Pat......LOL!!!

You did just get your numbers back down in range recently. It could be your body still adjusting. Hopefully it'll pass.

i was tested for cealiac too :( i dunno ya i guess watch what i eat and how it affects me

and very true Cor, sighh such a process waitnig.. im very impatient.. not a good trait lol