A weird low

My daughter was dx'd Oct 2008, (she is 11) so we are going through a lot of firsts.   I was wondering if anyone had something like this happen.  On Friday Casie was at school (it was lunch recess) the temp was 101 degrees, and very humid!  She said all of a sudden her body went tingly and numb.  Her friends were asking her what was wrong, and she said she felt funny.  Luckily her friend knew that she was probably running low and forced her to eat something.  Then she went to the school office, crying and real scared!  When she calmed down enough to test she was 95 (but she had just eaten her lunch and should of been a lot higher)  We had her drink some juice and her numbers came up.  I was told that it was probably the heat and humidity that made this happen.  Has anyone had something like this happen?  So along with everything else we have to worry about, we also need to worry about the weather?

Thanks,

Kathy

You are not alone!  We have had some weird lows, too!  My son was dx 6/09 and I have found the hot and humid weather seems to make his body do weird things.  My son dropped over 100 pts really fast when I didn't expect it, either.  We really don't need the weather factor, but it does play into this disease, too!  Good luck, hope your daughter is doing well.

We've also experienced a susceptibility to lower blood sugars when our daughter Cassie gets hot. Hot weather, hot tubs, hot showers. It doesn't happen all the time , but it's something we look out for after experiencing it time and again.

What causes this? This is what I suspect: when your body tries to cool itself at high temperatures, your blood vessels open a bit to increase blood flow. This in turn allows more blood to enter the capillaries and cool the blood by heat exchange at the skin surface (as your sweat evaporates). When that happens, your body can absorb the glucose in the blood stream more efficiently then BOOM your BG goes lower.

We sometimes use this to our advantage when Cassie gets really high blood sugars. A nice, long, hot bath can help lower her and get her squeaky clean too.

Wow im seeing that my son isint the only one going or feeling these weird lows,yes the weather does play a part in diabetes especially when its humid for some reason my son whom is 6 years old describes it as his stomach feels bubblely and thats how we no that he is low,and about the hot tubs we recently went on vacaition and just learned that factor.He also feels low when hes in a hot bath as well. 

My daughter is 12 and very athletic.  I do notice after being outside and or exercising she runs low and needs a juice box.  I make sure she has water and or Gatorade at school.  We live in Texas so the heat is just awful so we are careful.  That is great her friends are there to help her and can make sure she takes care of herself.

Kim