Living in the Heat!

I live in Southern California where it was OVER 100 degrees yesterday!!  I forgot just how much the heat affects my diabetes!  Between the hot temperatures and drinking enough water to stay hydrated it was a day of 50s and 60s as far as BG goes.  I have adjusted my insulin injection for today so all should be fine...anyone else have similar trouble with the heat?

I live in Washington, DC, and it's very hot in the summer.  However, I find that my blood sugars rise when it's really hot!!

I live in Virginia, and it gets pretty humid and hot in the summer, but that just seems to make me run higher, like Stephanie said, rather than low-- I find that cold weather is what causes some of my lows :)

I am in awe of those of you who live in warm areas! I can't handle it when it gets over 23 C in my town! My levels go out of wack with the slightest change in heat. It makes me worried when I take trips in the summer, since I end up spending most of the trip high due to stress and heat! It's easier to control when I'm in my city, and it doesn't get too warm here..but I still find the days where the tempature is above 15 my levels alost instinictly go high.

i didn't know that one's blood sugar could be affected by the temperature...i've found that i get low when i'm outside a lot during the summer but i always attributed that to the rugby tournaments etc...

will be sure to ask my doctor what he knows of this

I'm with Batts on living in the moderate temperatures of Western Canada haha.  My blood sugar drops when I go in hot tubs/steam rooms/saunas though...

[quote user="Pat"]

i didn't know that one's blood sugar could be affected by the temperature...i've found that i get low when i'm outside a lot during the summer but i always attributed that to the rugby tournaments etc...

will be sure to ask my doctor what he knows of this

[/quote]

From my experience, it has to do with the stress on your body. I found the same thing happened when Vic suddenly went from a mild winter as usual to suddenly getting dumped on with snow and having snowstorm warnings. I spent those two weeks with consent highs(I think I RARELY went below 16mmol but spent most days 20+mmol) and I think it was the stress of the sudden change in weather temperature, as my endo could find no cause for the sudden drastic change in levels.

My blood sugar definitely goes higher in the heat. I went to diabetes camp one summer, and there was no AC and it was the hottest summer in a long time. My blood sugars were the highest they've ever been (543) and I felt like the "bad" diabetic, when usually my sugars are within range.

It's funny that this post has popped up today. I wanted to do a similar post to see if this happened to anyone else. I go low when I am in the hot summer sun, humidity and heat. I do not even have to be doing anything, as long as it is hot I go low. It can be very annoying, I have to always carry juice in the summer if I'm going to be outside. Here in Pa where I live temps. really don't get much above 90 usually.

im not sure how heat effects my sugar but I can absolutly NOT stand it. Being hot makes me crazy! Like, when im high, my hands dry up and get all hot. Blah! ={. it sucks here cause today its plus 24 and tomorrow its supposed to be +2 and SNOW!!!!!!! (celsius guys, celsius.)

I live in balmy Baltimore, and the heat/humidity definitely make my BGs run low. 

I lived in Dallas with diabetes for 25 years.  It gets hot as hay-dees there for 5 months out of the year.  I never made the connection of heat to blood sugar.  But then again heat was normal for me.

Now I live in a suburb of Seattle and if I never see the sun or a hot day again it's fine with me!

Don't know, never really thought about it.

I usually run a little lower during the summer months, especially those hot and humid 90+ days.  When it gets that hot I have a lot of days of 60 and 70 BG levels.  Once the weather begins to change I have to adjust my insulin amounts to compensate..which I'll probably have to be doing in the next couple of weeks lol