6 year old son

My son Treyton was diagnosed in November 2011.  He has been dealing with it fairly well probably better than his parnets have.

He was on a pen from the on set of the diagnosis but about 3 months ago we switched to an Omnipod.  This pump has been really great for his/our active lives.

With being new to the world of type 1 diabetes we are really struggling with maintaining a "good" blood glucose level.  He seems to be high for no particular reason and then hit a low for no apparent reason????  Is this normal???  We have some guidance from our endo but get little time with him. 

Any help and tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Perfection isn't possible in any part of life.  It's especially impossible in regards to managing blood sugars.  

My guess is that you're doing a better job than you think.  Pumps really are amazing, and most of us have much improved blood sugar levels with them, but we still have highs and lows.  Just try to catch and correct them as quickly as you can.  If you notice highs and lows at the same time each day for a few days in a row, contact your doctor about adjusting your son's basal rate or addressing the problem another way.

I read online that managing blood sugars is an art, not a science.  There are so many variables that affect blood sugar, including:

* Insulin sensitivity - can change throughout the day

* Insulin absorption - is better in some tissue than others, with shots insulin can leak out of the site, with a pump the absorption diminishes by the 3rd day

* Growth Spurts - make a child insulin resistant

* Stress - sometimes raises, sometimes lowers blood sugar

* Excitement - I ALWAYS had low blood sugars the first day of school as a kid; I barely took any insulin on my wedding day

* Exercise - can raise or lower blood sugar, also improves insulin sensitivity for up to 24 hours after

* Carbohydrates - some carbs affect us differently than the food labels indicate, sometimes a fatty meal or large meal will digest more slowly, making it difficult to time insulin

* Brain activity - since our brains run primarily on glucose it's not unusual to have a lower blood sugar after taking a test at school or doing other deep thinking

* Illness or Infection - typically raises blood sugar

* Other medications - affect insulin's effectiveness, one of the worst are steroids

I've had type 1 diabetes for 35 years and it's always changing.  That used to frustrate me, but I've come to accept that it's just part of living with diabetes.  And it actually has helped me because managing all the variables has helped me become a quick and creative problem solver.  That skill has served me well in my work, as a parent, and in other areas of my life.  

So don't stress about it.  Keep learning and gaining experience.  You and your son will be okay.

-Jenna