2/8/2016

Hello everyone, my name is Ryan. Very new at this. Just one ago I was told that I have type 1. I was in the hospital a couple weeks before with blood levels at 873 and they needed to do more blood work to see which type I had. A little nervous and scared with all this.

Hi, Ryan, and welcome to the club you never asked to join. There are a ton of really great people on this forum who can help you learn the ropes. You’ll get the hang of it, I promise. Check out the “Helpful resources” post that is pinned as the top entry here, and just start browsing the threads. Lots of level-headed, sensible advice from folks who are right there with you.

Thank you!

Hey Ryan, we share a diaversary! I was diagnosed 2/8/1984, 32 years ago. It’s been a long road, but I’m still here and in pretty good shape all things considered. It’s so overwhelming at first, so try not to do too much at once. The focus now will be to try to stabilize an insulin regimen that will work for you. Since your BG was quite high at diagnosis, you may or may not experience what they call the “honeymoon period”, which is when you still have a few functioning beta cells that produce insulin. These hang around for a few months to a year or so until they all finally die off, then you can really get a stable regimen set up, and eventually you can consider going to a pump, which is much more like a normal functioning pancreas. But for now, just work closely with your docs, try to learn how to accurately carb count your foods, and try to learn how to eat lower-carbs. They will probably have you meet with a Certified Diabetes Educator and a registered dietician, both of whom can be very valuable in teaching you the ropes of the “holy trinity”: Food, insulin and exercise. Check back in with us every so often so we can try to help with other questions that will inevitably arise. Even after 30+ years with it, I still learn new things all the time!

A little nervous and scared with all this.

Well, try to remember the words of Buckaroo Banzai, “Wherever you go … there you are”. Sure, it doesn’t really help with anything, but it’s hard to deny the truth of it, no? :slight_smile:

If you’re willing, it’s often easier to suggest things or even just commiserate if you know something about a person. Things that might help better understand your situation are stuff like your (approximate) age, what part of the world/country you are currently in, what sort of treatment you are currently using.

My intent is not to inquire impertinently. Please do not say anything if you’re not comfortable sharing it. But it’s hard to say more without also knowing more.

Well they do have me on insulin and have been since I was released from the hospital.

Well they do have me on insulin and have been since I was released from the hospital.

Well, stop me if I am being an insensitive jackass here, but when I read the above I just had more questions. Telling another T1 that you’re on insulin is sort of like telling a fellow commuter that you have “transportation” to/from work. Possibly even a little more vague. :wink:

Oh, well.

Is getting used to exogenous insulin part of what is stressful for you? Have they made arrangements so you have a BG meter so you can test if you think you’re going hypo and do you have something (fast carbs of some sort) on hand to treat one?

Oh yes, I got all of that the day I got released. Taking the insulin is not very stressful I’m fine with it. I still have not met with my Endo yet, that will be in a few days. I guess what concerns me is the hypo. When will I get big low? Where will I be? Who will be with me? So far my lowest I have measured was 89 and that even had me shaky and nervous, so what will a even lower reading feel like?

@Ryand89, a low usually feels like a panic attack. If you are not familiar, most people feel shaky, trembling, fast heartbeat, and sweats. they go away in 10 minutes if you have fast carbs on you: glucose tablets, a can of regular sugar coke (NOT DIET), jolly ranchers, sweet tarts, gummy bears, Pez, grape juice, dipping dots… pretty much all kinds of candy and non-diet drinks.

Where will you be? pretty much anywhere, driving, working, hang-gliding - I have found that if it is very physical, to almost expect a low. There’s a duffle bag in my truck with coke and a 3 year old snickers bar in it, my backpack has a big bottle of glucose tabs and assorted granola, and I have a 10-pack of tabs in my pocket when I am at work. I have found that in the United States, you are never more than 10 feet away from a convenience store anyway but it pays to be prepared.

Well I definitely always carry something with me. I have had to use the glucose tablets once. That was when I had my 89 and I like I said, even that was enough to make me shaky.

Always be prepared because if you do enter the honeymoon stage it may drop to the 60’s, my first drop was 62. Always have juice or glucose tabs or anything that will raise your blood sugar fast at hand.
If you want to make your life of measuring insulin easier I recommend you to get an app called Diabetes 360. When your Endo asks you for the numbers of your blood sugar you Can just save them all there and send an email of them.

Thanks, I will look into that app!

Hi Ryand89,

I just wanted to give you some encouragement, if possible. I just passed the 1 year mark since diagnosis, so last January I was in pretty much the same place as you (diagnosed at age 28). I remember being very overwhelmed with a feeling like my body had betrayed me. While I was determined to have a positive outlook, and many people in the community were encouraging about how manageable this disease is now, I still had a lot of doubts in my mind…reading about complications, seeing how every day would be impacted by treatment, my first really bad low which led to me sitting in an aisle in the grocery store and eating a candy bar straight off the shelf because it’s all I could find :slight_smile: I also had some really confused friends. I met with a lot of…“Well, you’re fit. But I guess you do like cupcakes a lot, so that’s probably what happened.”

One year in, things feel a lot more normal. I’ve had time to (gently) explain what’s up to my closest friends, so those awkward moments don’t come up as often. And most of all, I’ve learned to be a strong advocate for myself. Lots of people are going to have advice. Most of them will mean well. At the end of the day, it’s about finding what works for you, what you’re comfortable with, and what makes your life run smoothly. I’m determined to do the best job I can managing this, while at the same time not being too hard on myself because bad days do happen. And groups like TypeOneNation really do help-it’s super encouraging to meet people who have lived long-term with this and are still healthy and happy. I wish you all the best-things may be crazy for awhile, but I promise it will start to feel more manageable over time!

@cmanton Thank you! That does mean a lot!

@ryand89 Welcome to the D club… As a member for almost 26 years myself, I hate having to welcome you, but this is a great tool for tips trick and support, you’re in good hands!! I just thought I’d offer my favorite tool for lows, Gatorade energy chews!! They are so much easier to eat than glucose tabs, especially when low, they taste great, and they work very quickly. It’s just another option to add to the arsenal, but they are also a little easier to carry around than a coke, juice pouch, or canister of tabs. Good luck!!