Why does the insulin shot "burn" or "sting" sometimes?

Both of my T1 daughters complain that sometimes as the insulin shot is being administered, they feel a "burning" or "stinging" while the insulin is given.  Is this a common complain for insulin-dependent kids using a pen?  It doesn't always depend on the amount of insulin, although it seems to happen more when there is a significantly higher level of insulin given.  Just curious!

Hello meg,

Although it has been a while since my son has taken injections (he wears a pump now) but I remember when he was taking injections about 5yrs ago that he had that same issue.  From my understanding it is just the affect the insulin has entering the body, and even on the pump he has stated that he can feel the insulin going in and especially when it is a larger amount of insulin.  For me I think my son has just gotten used to it and has chosen not to complain about it.  I don't say this to say that your daughter's should not complain because everyone is different and it may really affect them.  But; I do say that to say that he has not complained in some time about it, and I know that for him that means either it does not bother him anymore or he has just chosen not to mention it.

I know that this may not offer any particular help in changing or fixing the issue but I hope it helps in letting you know that it is not out of the ordinary and your daughters are not alone.

Lorraine

We were told that Lantus is more likely to burn or sting than Levemir (both long-acting insulins) and that was why our ped. endo put our son on Levemir when he was dxd. Our son did not usually complain about it burning, but he is only 4 so sometimes it was hard to figure out of if the poke hurt or the insulin burned when he would complain about a shot.

Now that he is on a pump, he never complains unless his site has gotten infected.

Our son complained that the Lantus stung more when it was coming straight from the fridge.  When we started keeping open vials at room temperature, it was more comfortable.

Mo

Mo,

You just reminded me that my son expressed that same issue when his insulin came straight from fridge as well.  It reminded me that that is why we always keep a bottle at room temperature even though he is on a pump.  

Lorraine

Mo,

You just reminded me that my son expressed that same issue when his insulin came straight from fridge as well.  It reminded me that that is why we always keep a bottle at room temperature even though he is on a pump.  

Lorraine

We were told its the PH of the insulin straight out of the fridge cold stings more because its cold. The PH in Levemir is suppose to be more balanced or less than in Lantus.