What Happens to Your Blood Sugar After Eating Something Like Pancakes

It seems like whenever I eat something sugary with pancakes, even if I adjust for the correct amount of carbs, I end up high 2 hours after I eat. This is probably normal, but I want to know if this happens to any of you? If this doesn't occur in you with pancakes, what does it occur in?

I haven't had the issue with pancakes but I have had it with bagels.  It launches my blood sugar up so high even if i give twice the amount of insulin needed.

Interesting...now that I think of it, bagels do that to me sometimes. I remember the time I accidentally drank a whole regular soda! My blood sugar was off the charts!

funny story about bagels- the day I got diagnosed they didn't keep me overnight so I didn't learn all the things I  needed to know and they put me on the mixed insulin where I would take two shots a day. so the morning after diagnosed I wake up and my mom just bought  fresh bagels that I love so I have one (not really know anything about diabetes and that bagels have like 80 carbs)...two hours later my blood sugar was over 300 and I had to go back to the hospital haha. that time they kept me overnight and I learned what I needed to.

about pancakes- I use sugar free syrup and I usually have chocolate chip pancakes...my blood sugar is usually pretty good after, sometimes a little high but nothing serious.

Pancakes, waffles, and bagels used to do that to me, too, and lately I've been more able to counter the spike.  I had waffles for breakfast this morning, and peaked at 172 - and now, 2 hours later, I'm 98.  (I should also note that I use sugar-free or "light" syrup.)

I take my humalog bolus a lot earlier when I eat this kind of stuff ("stuff" meaning foods high on the glycemic index) - at least 20 minutes before I eat, and at least 30 minutes before if I'm also doing a correction.  I also test an hour after eating, in addition to the two hours after.

All breads use to be bad, then I started to inject about a half hour before and then the peaks match. If I don't inject before my bs goes up at 2 hrs, but is back down at 3 or 4 hours. Yes, bagels are really hard to correct for me too!!! Whole grains work better for me. Again Let's Alex to Juvenation!!!

Thanks! I am at a 7:1 carb ratio, which means I end up doing a bunch of units just to eat a bagel. Now, I buy mini bagels and those work well for me. Or bagel thins.

I had noticed several years ago that high carb foods would raise my BG several hours after eating. After being on the pump I learned to do a "dual wave bolus". The dual wave bolus means that I can bolus some insulin now and the remaining portion at a later time, I usually bolus the rest 30 min later. I had taken some nutrition classes and did a whole bunch of research on my own. The white flour foods will normally react later in the body. The carbs in those foods seam to be late reactors. I had started making all my own bread/baked goods using whole wheat flour as much as possible. I noticed a big difference using the whole wheat. Since I have moved I haven't been baking but I do buy the whole wheat baked goods, and still have good results with it. 

I would try splitting some of you insulin and see if you can stop the 2 hr spike (do talk to your doctor about it as well). You might try the whole wheat and see if that makes a difference as well. 

MaryMartha

My son has to eat the whole wheat version of everything. Eggos, pancakes, bread, buns, etc. I even started using whole grain spaghetti. We tried the wheat mac and cheese one time, I don't recommend it. :)  

That is a good idea to break up my insulin doses. I will have to talk to my doctor about that. I tend to eat whole wheat versions of food more times than not, and that helps a little. I also try to avoid food with trans-fat and high fructose corn syrup.

Alex, this is off of the topic a bit, but I have to say that you're the most well-spoken 13 year old I've ever encountered.  :)  You punctuate!  And capitalize!  It's refreshing to see.  (Okay, that makes me sound wicked old.)

Thank you! I try my best to use proper grammar and correct punctuation. Now that I blog (alexleiphart.com), I have to be even more aware of my grammar. :)

Alex, I have to agree with Kim. You do very well with your writing and grammar! I looked at you blog and all I can say is WOW! I wish I was as good with my grammar at 13, I am 27 and I think your writing is much better! Keep up the good work! 

Do try to split the dose of your insulin up and see if that helps you out. Avoiding the high fructose corn syrup made a huge difference in my blood sugars as well. I was wondering if you have a insulin pump or not? I am getting my continuous glucose monitor (CGM) Tuesday, but if you talk to people that currently have a CGM, they will tell you that it can also help with tracking those spikes. If you don't have one, you may want to look into one.

Good luck! 

MaryMartha

Thanks, MaryMartha! I don't happen to have an insulin pump for one reason. The reason being is that I don't want to be a diabetic 24/7. I was diagnosed in May of 2009, and had the chance to receive a pump in December of that year. I don't mind the shots, they don't hurt me one bit. I also can't stand having things attached to me. I tried out a CGM for a week, and had it taken off early because I couldn't stand it. I like freedom, and not having a pump provides me freedom from diabetes. Thanks for the tip, though!