Weird craving

So I heard that sometimes your body makes you crave wierd things sometimes if you are lacking a certain nutrient and lately I have been REALLY craving butter! I know that's a really gross thing to want but I was wondering if there was anyone on here who might know if there really could be something that butter has that I might not be getting enough of?

Most of the time when you crave something it's because your body lacks protein. That is all I know about this situation. Hope it helps.

Sounds like you need salt.

It could be salt, fat, or dairy products.

But now I totally want some buttery toast just from reading your post.  ;)

I'm thinking it's probably fat lacking in my diet because when I started recalling what I have been eating regularly, there is none to very little amounts of fat in each food. Thanks for the help! I just don't know what I'm gonna do about it because I don't want to start adding fat in my diet, oh well!

Actually, though you don't want to go overboard, all humans need some fat in their diet.  Low fat diets can actually cause health problems.  In fact, when I did Nutrisystem way back in the day, they really emphasized that we needed to eat the extra "fat serving" in their daily meal plan.  It's otherwise a very low fat diet, and adding an extra fat serving helped make sure we were getting the nutrients we need.

Just pick the right kind of fat and don't eat it in insane amounts.  Add some avocado slices to a salad or sandwich maybe, or put some peanut butter on your toast at breakfast.  Honestly, the right fats are healthy in moderation.  Or if you want to satisfy the butter craving without adding saturated fat, get some margarine without trans fats.  The "heart healthy" varieties are good that way, though I can tell you they're not nearly as tasty as Earth Balance, which has no trans fats either.  YUM!

Thank you for the advice Elizabeth! I do miss having peanut butter so it's nice to know that it's okay to have some and still be healthy. Do you know what would happen though if a person went long enough without enough fat in their diet?

Here's something that sums up most of the issues (and also gives you some guidelines on how much fat you need): http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=6

Something else to keep in mind is that some processed foods labeled "low fat" can be worse for you than the fattening stuff, because of chemicals or fillers that replace the taste the fat would have provided.  So those just aren't good for you in general.  But if you're avoiding fat by eating things that are naturally low fat (or by sticking to low fat dairy and lean proteins), that's not too much of a concern.

I will check out that website. I have been eating things that are naturally low in fat, I did hear that about certain "low fat" foods actually being worse like lowfat peanut butters. You have been a great help!

You're welcome!  It's easy to feel like you have to avoid all fat, considering this country went through a good 20 years saying low-fat is the way to go.

And I'm so with you on the peanut butter.  I love the stuff.  When I was doing Nutrisystem, that's almost always what I had for my daily fat serving.  It was such a treat to have a spoonful of peanut butter while on a diet.  :)

I haven't heard that but the food pyramid does say you should have fat in your diet! If you want some butter eat it LOL