Was I right?

Earlier today my son told me his stomach doesn't feel good. I checked his BG and it was 442, but no ketones. When I was trying to give him Humalog he was fighting with me, as usual when his BG is high, and to calm him down I told him that the insulin is going to make his stomach feel better. I think I recall hearing or reading that high BG can cause upset stomachs. Or did I stick my foot in my mouth? Does that only happen when ketones are present? Either way, his stomach felt better after a while, but I just don't want to lie to him. I should know these kinds of things.

That isn't a symptom I've ever experienced or heard mentioned, but that doesn't mean the two weren't related, for him.

I usually get an upset stomach with high readings but I think I have ketones too. Could the ketostrips be defective/expired? Wish I could be more helpful!

When my blood sugar is high (no ketones) my stomach always hurts- like really uncomfortable indigestion

Rileys tummy hurts her too when she is high. I always use certain words when I am not sure like this should or could make your tummy feel better. That way if I am wrong I wont be putting my foot in my mouth.

I usually have stomachaches when my bloodsugars are off, but sometimes the pains get worse while my bloodsugar comes back to normal (sort of an it gets worse before it gets better situation).

[quote user="Trish"]

Either way, his stomach felt better after a while, but I just don't want to lie to him. I should know these kinds of things.

[/quote]

Trish don't beat yourself up.  very high sugar usually feels like the flu to me so whatever that is, it goes away when my bs is in a better range.  I bet he did feel awful with his sugar that high, he must have.

high sugar + upset stomach doesn't always mean big keytones

High sugar + Keytones almost always means upset stomach

I've missed work because of having a high blood sugar like this. You were right.

When I was really little, I got lots of tummy aches when my BG's were off, but it doesn't happen anymore.

I agree that getting that bad high down will make you feel better one way or the other!

Joe, Sarah, I know you're both right. He was feeling bad and I knew that the insulin would make him feel better. I just don't want to "falsely accuse" diabetes of anything, such as a stomach ache. I'm working very hard to make sure that Brandan has a good understanding of T1D and how to treat symptoms, etc. without letting it control us. The last thing I want to do is make him think that insulin will make everything better all the time.

Jessica, great advice. A little word like "could" or "should" makes a big difference.

Now I wonder if the high BG caused the sick stomach or if something else caused the sick stomach and the high BG was a result. Some mysteries will never be solved.

Trish I HAVE to say things like that to my boys or its the end of the world to them. I have lots of practice at not being sure and saying it so they believe it but if I am wrong I have a pass on it.

[quote user="Jessica "]

Trish I HAVE to say things like that to my boys or its the end of the world to them. I have lots of practice at not being sure and saying it so they believe it but if I am wrong I have a pass on it.

[/quote]

I understand. Your boys probably take everything very literally. (I'm not trying to make assumptions.) I can see how it would play out for me and Brandan; I would tell him that we'll see if the insulin makes his stomach feel better and then if it did, great and if it didn't I would just have a little talk with him. We have a lot of little talks, he's very intelligent and easy to talk to. I bet you do the same with your kids. :)

OH NO! Poor little Brandan woke up a little while ago, went to the potty crying, laid back down and started SCREAMING. He said his stomach hurts and he put his hand on his lower abdomen. His sugar is fine, 149. Now I'm thinking Celiac Disease. (Please, no) I've always thought of it in the very back of my mind and now the fear feels very real.

if it's celiac, don't worry too much. i've had it for nearly ever. it's just a little change in his diet. nothing you can't handle :o)