Wanting to get Pregnant..Kinda Scared

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I am 27, was diagnosed with Type one at 21. The last 6 years have not been far from ideal. I got married two and 1/2 years ago. We decided the beginning of the year that we were going to start trying to conceive during the summer. Those plans came to a crashing halt when I visited my endo on July 5th. She told me my A1C was 8.9 and that she would NOT recommend me get pregnant until I was at 6. I asked her how long that should take and she said a year! I was devastated. I was planning to stop my BC that month.

I worked hard to make changes in my life over the past few months since then. I wen tot the doctor Mid Septemebr and my A1C went down to 7.8. I also got on the pump after that appointment. I go in again next tuesday to see how this pump has affected my A1C.

I want to get pregnant NOW. Put I am terrified that I my BC will hurt the baby and that I will end up feeling guilty forever if something happens because I didn't wait. I also feel like getting down to a 6 will take me a small eternity. I'm so sad about it. I want a baby so bad not..and to add to it, so many friends are having babies, my family is waiting. They actually think I'm pregnant now because I gained weight after getting my BCs under better control. I'm just frustrated.

How long did it take some of you to get your A1C to tight control?

Has anyone had a healthy baby with an elevated A1C?

What are some tips to getting my A1C down at super speed?

Thanks in advance

Sydney

HI Sydney,

I am new to this site as well & I found out I am now 8  weeks pregnant. I am 29 years old and it is our 1st. I have been type 1 for over 20 years. I am what you would call a health fanatic. I met my husband at the gym. Due to horrible (HORRIBLE) morning sickness, I am unable to eat & exercise like I used to. Its hard to keep this down & my tummy feeling normal with my usual cottage cheese. But as to your question about getting your AC1 down--its all about daily control. I eat clean and find that my number are great when I eat that way. Fresh everything, lots of water, no butter/grease and mostly raw veggies. There is no secret trick to good eating habits except REALLY doing it. I test myself about 10-20 per day to make sure that I am in tight control. I actually wish I could test more but due to my insurance - that's my max. However, with now being  pregnant I feel that I want to test every hour to make sure my numbers (and baby) are safe. If you are wanting support during this process--please feel free to contact me. And unfortunately, new baby hormones will make your blood sugars crazy high--even for me. I have found a few friends on here that I write weekly to keep in touch & touch in check. Stay positive and if you are pregnant- you are the one who can control your future. Make all your food really count in the very 1st weeks on conception. :)

Take care & best wishes to you & future baby,

LISSA

Part of being a parent is putting your baby first.  For diabetic moms that means having as close to ideal blood sugars as possible during the pregnancy.   I don't know if 6 is the perfect number.  But you shouldn't try to conceive if you're having frequent highs or lows.  

Make sure your basal rate is accurate, avoid fatty or high carb foods, and aim for a lower target blood sugar (like 80, as long as you can do it with no lows).  Use a CGM or test a lot to correct quickly.

If you can't have great control while trying to conceive, you're really going to struggle in the first few months after your baby is born when you barely get time to go to take a shower or eat.  Do your very best in have good diabetes control now, when you have the time to do it.  Once you're a parent your time is not your own.

You're also young enough that you don't need to be in a hurry.  It doesn't matter what your friends or family think you should be doing.  It's your life and it will be your child to raise.  Wait until you're ready.

My A1c was a 9.7 when I was on Lantus and Humalog pens. I got on the OmniPod and 3 months later my A1c was a 6.7 Took about 2 months of TTC and I was pregnant. I maintained an A1c of 6.5 during my entire pregnancy. My endocrinologist and my OBGYN always told me they wanted my A1c to be under 7. I got my A1c down quickly by testing a lot and taking correction doses when needed. When I was on shots/pens I didn't really correct a lot because I hated the shots. It was so much easier with the pump. Also, my OB always stressed that my fasting number had to be the best number. He always wanted it to be between 70-90.