Want one

It was announced that my insurance company, Aetna, would start covering CGMs for more than 2 sets of 3 days a year. I was beyond excited, until I read more and found out that it was only covered for T1s over the age of 25. Anyone younger has to have a documented history of hypo unawareness. I am nearly 19 years old and definitely don't want to wait that long. Has anyone gotten around the current rules without paying out of their pockets?

that is not true whoever told you only type 1s over age 25 are getting covered misinformed you.  I know that children are not approved for cgm yet. Have your doctor write you a letter of medical necessity and also call your minimed rep directly and see if they can help you.

I have a cgms(6 months now) and it's not what I expected. I do not think the device is what it is advertisted as. For example, the cgms never gives an accurate reading. So everytime you have a high or low you have to double check with your meter. I am particuarly anoyed with my cgms right now because I am out of town on a business meeting and when I really need it to be working to help me catch lows my sensor goes bad. Its just an expensive reminder to test. I also have to pay for everything out of my own pocket and then when it stops working.... very frustrating

I also have had a love / hate relationship with my CGM. It definitely helps with showing when you are starting to spike, but very rarely does it catch a low. I can feel myself going low and know I'm low before my CGM is even close to alerting me that I might have a low BS. Also, I'm on an OmniPod insulin pump which is attached to me all the time. The CGM is also attached to me all the time. Having two devices constantly attached to your body is not all that fun. Definitely makes me feel like a "Bionic Woman" (that's the fond nickname my family has taken to calling me thanks to the two machines I'm always wearing). That said, the CGM definitely helps give you a glimpse of how your blood sugars flow through every day and have helped me fine tune my basals a little more easily.

Hello..Boy I was really excited for my daughter to be able to get one of these, but after reading the posts Im not so sure anymore...Its kinda bursted my bubble about it all....

new CGMS users HAVE to realize that there are limitations to what the system will do....AND that there is a HUGE learning curve to get the devices to function to their best abilities.  The ONE thing that is most important is that it can show you TRENDS in your BGs....it should NOT be exact as to what a fingerstick BG shows.  And as the manufacturers suggest, you should continue to test BGs before treating anything your CGMS tells you.

For me...I know when my LOW BG alarm goes off..my actual BG may be 30 points lower than what the CGMS says........so I can either change my settingss on what my device is set for, or makie sure I set it so that I can still function at the level where the alarm goes off.  I live alone and treating Lows is tricky.  with my Low alarm set at 80, I get the frist alarm and sm still able to treat the low..even though I know my BG is probably in the 50's...you have to figure out how the system works with your body (or your child's) and figure out what alarm goals to set from there.

It WILL take time to learn the in-and-outs of whatever CGMS you use...up to 3 months in some cases.  Be patient!

Hi, This is my first post here because I so desperately want to go on the sensor.  I have had diabeties for 32 years and I have NEVER had good controlled blood sugars.  The only time was when I was pregnet eight years ago.  I am trying to get my numbers in order (if that will ever happen) so that the doctor's will tell me that I can get pregnet again.  I have asked my endo to please give me the permission to get on this system but he tells me it is the icing on the cake.  Last week they did an IPRO sensor test for 72 hours.  The chart afterwards was all over the place.  Highs (400's) Lows (50's) all within the same day!  I see the sensor as a great helping tool that alerts me to my highs and lows.  Am I wrong?  If feel no lows or highs because of how long I have had diabeties.  When ever I do the tests (4-7 times a day now) they aren't showing the really high numbers because they happen usually while I am sleeping.  I need my sleep and instead of doing a test every hours at night the sensor would help me.  I am just so flustrated!  Any one who can enlighten me on this I would really appriciate it!

I have had diabetes for the same amount of time and I wanted a sensor because I mistakenly thought it would help me realize lows and highs sooner. I paid for it with my own money and I am extremely disappointed that it is usually wrong. It has made me see the lows and highs more often but that is only because I am testing more than I ever have in my life as a diabetic. Sometimes 20 times a day! If you have to pay for it out of your own pocket do not purchase one, it would be cheaper and far easier to just start testing more. The technology is just not there for it to work the way we expect it to. Remember when we used to test with urine? Same idea, hopefully in five years or so we will look back and wonder why we ever put up with such an inaccurate system.