Waiting for CGMs and Pumps

When i was first diagnosed at 8 years old. I was on shots. I had to do everything a harder way. The doctors told me i had to wait 4 years to get a CGM and pump site. I wanted it before then. but i waited anyway impatiently. I don’t understand why i had to wait when all these new diabetics are getting CGMs and pump sites on their first year.

Hi @EvieFire . I was in my mid 30s when I started on a pump - my doctor started encouraging me to look into it about 3 years prior but it took a while for the idea to grow on me. It seems like lately people are getting pumps very early on following their diagnosis.
While CGMS were available around the same time patients had to show proof of medical necessity in order to get one: and it wasn’t until I started showing early signs of hypoglycemic unawareness some years later that I qualified. All I can suggest is that as time has gone by insurance companies are more familiar with the benefits of the devices, and see that covering the costs now may result in less expensive claims down the road.
And then there are the doctors: some are firmly set in their ways and may have it in their head that their patient must do things a certain way, even if insurance does not require it - there is one person on the forum who recently shared she wants to stop pumping and go back to injections, but can’t find a doctor to support her! Unfortunately patients must sometimes do battle with their doctors, or find a different doctor who is willing to support their choice.
But don’t consider those 4 years a waste. I’m a firm believer in knowing how to function with and without fancy technology, and you’ve had plenty of experience managing yourself on injections. I took them for 30+ years and am still doing fine on my 60s. Four years on shots may not have served you as well as a pump, but it probably has not harmed you either. If you ever want to take a pump vacation, or something happens and you have to wait for a replacement, your muscle memory will kick in and you’ll be able to manage until you go back - you’ll just have to get guidance from your doctor on your background and meal doses. You missed out for a few years but in a way you’re ahead in case anything happens or you want to take break.

1 Like

@EvieFire I agree with you. I don’t understand it either. I could guess that it was the will of your doctor. In my opinion, in order to be successful on a pump, or with a CGM, you have to know how to do shots and test blood sugar, but it doesn’t take that long to learn. My only advice is that you should ask your doctor why. Good luck.

Evelyn @EvieFire there are many differing thoughts about this, and other than a CGM which I think is the best tool for managing diabetes, much of the technology can be distracting. DISCLOSURE: right now I’m as fully automated as possible with diabetes technology.

Your doctor may have been a progressive thinker and ahead of others . A few studies have been published recently sharing diabetes management has declined since 2010. Reasons for the decline, based on HbA1c and TIR summaries isn’t clear but tends to imply that the dependence on technology without a good base knowledge of diabetes management [as @Joe said “you have to know how to do shots and test blood sugar”] may be a factor.

An insulin infusion pump can be an awesome tool in many ways when used properly, but it is know to have adverse impact. Yes, after saying “no thanks” for 25 years when doctors suggested that I give a pump a try, I began using a pump after 47 years of shots principally to get away from 1,800 injections a year. Use good judgement and enjoy your pump.