Vegetarian & Vegan Type 1's?

Hi!  Are there any other vegetarian or vegan Type 1 Diabetics on here?  I have been vegetarian for 12 years, and T1 for 20. :)

I recently started a Vegan diet..The past few weeks I've not followed the diet very well (moms in the hospital and my diet is the last thing on my mind!) but I'm planning on getting back on track today! I've been a T1 for 16 years now

I recently started a Vegan diet..The past few weeks I've not followed the diet very well (moms in the hospital and my diet is the last thing on my mind!) but I'm planning on getting back on track today! I've been a T1 for 16 years now

That's cool.  Let me know if you notice any changes in your blood sugars or control (positive or negative.)  It's been a long time since I ate an omniviorous diet, so I'm curious about how a vegan diet would affect the blood sugar in comparison to a regular diet!

Molly

Hi Molly!

I am a Type 1 vegetarian.  Some days I think that makes it more difficult to eat a diabetic diet than it would if I did eat meet.  How have you handled this?  I have been a vegetarian for 14yrs and Type 1 for 2yrs.  Look forward to hearing from you!

Katie

I have had T1D for almost 21 years and was pretty much a vegetarian my whole life. About six years ago I became a vegan. Not only am I vegan, but because of other philosophical beliefs I practice simple living. I do not eat processed food at all, everything I eat I make from scratch. Being a vegan I do eat a lot of carbs but because these carbs are all from fruits, veggies, and whole grains I do not have a problem with the amount I eat. Even though being a vegan has really helped my over all control with my T1D I must admit that the greatest thing I ever did for myself was giving up pre made/ packaged/ processed food. About two weeks ago I gave up the last non beneficial thing in my diet which was Diet Pepsi, and I already feel the difference.

[quote user="Katie"]

Hi Molly!

I am a Type 1 vegetarian.  Some days I think that makes it more difficult to eat a diabetic diet than it would if I did eat meet.  How have you handled this?  I have been a vegetarian for 14yrs and Type 1 for 2yrs.  Look forward to hearing from you!

Katie

[/quote]

Katie,

I've been T1 for 20 years and vegetarian for 12 years.  I agree that it probably does make it a little bit more difficult to avoid carbs.  There aren't many local restaurants around me that have protein-dense meat substitutes, so I either have to travel to them or get something like pasta or eggplant if I'm out with family.  I see you live in Philly though..I'm jealous! lol  There are so many amazing vegan places down there, and there are always more popping up.  I always try to visit new ones, but I can't help but go back to my fav's when I can: Horizons, Kingdom of Vegetarians, Govinda's...

But yea...I really loved meat a lot before I quit it, so I'm all about the meat substitutes.  I ordered a bunch of them from this place called May Wah in NYC that specializes in meat subs.  They have so much to choose from and the ones I've tried have been really good.  It helps to have them in the freezer, because it makes it easy to add protein to any meal.  Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.vegieworld.com/index.asp? :)

Molly

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

I have had T1D for almost 21 years and was pretty much a vegetarian my whole life. About six years ago I became a vegan. Not only am I vegan, but because of other philosophical beliefs I practice simple living. I do not eat processed food at all, everything I eat I make from scratch. Being a vegan I do eat a lot of carbs but because these carbs are all from fruits, veggies, and whole grains I do not have a problem with the amount I eat. Even though being a vegan has really helped my over all control with my T1D I must admit that the greatest thing I ever did for myself was giving up pre made/ packaged/ processed food. About two weeks ago I gave up the last non beneficial thing in my diet which was Diet Pepsi, and I already feel the difference.

[/quote]

Shauna,

I give you lots of credit for giving up packaged and processed foods, and also for your veganism.  I have influenced a handful of friends and family to commit to vegetarian and veganism, but I don't know if making the plunge to veganism is a step I'll ever be ready to make.  I want to, and I definitely do eat vegan food as much as possible. 

As far as simple living, it's definitely harder in the winter, but in the summer my family and I turned about 1/4 of our back yard into a huge organic garden.  We didn't really didn't buy very much produce, because we planted peppers, corn, lettuce, tomatoes, basil, oregano, carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant, and cucumbers.  It was awesome!

Also, now you made me curious...what changes have you noticed since quitting Diet Pepsi?

Molly

i was wondering when HV would catch on to this post! :o) you have so much helpful insight.

[quote user="Molly"]

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

[/quote]

Shauna,

I give you lots of credit for giving up packaged and processed foods, and also for your veganism.  I have influenced a handful of friends and family to commit to vegetarian and veganism, but I don't know if making the plunge to veganism is a step I'll ever be ready to make.  I want to, and I definitely do eat vegan food as much as possible. 

As far as simple living, it's definitely harder in the winter, but in the summer my family and I turned about 1/4 of our back yard into a huge organic garden.  We didn't really didn't buy very much produce, because we planted peppers, corn, lettuce, tomatoes, basil, oregano, carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant, and cucumbers.  It was awesome!

Also, now you made me curious...what changes have you noticed since quitting Diet Pepsi?

Molly

[/quote]

Hi Molly. Thanks so much for your kind words. That is so cool that you and your family grow your own food in the Summer. As far as Diet Pepsi goes... I was addicted, it was my crack so to speak. One day I just threw it out and said enough with the dumb chemicals. I had no withdraw whatsoever, and at the time had no tea so I was drinking only water, which leads me to believe that (at least for me ) the withdraws were psychological. Since I stopped drinking it I have noticed two major changes. I have a lot more energy, and (this one is kind of weird) my stomach would get bloated sometimes even when it wasn't that time of the month, but no longer does that at all. I am not saying this in a bragging way at all, but I am a small female and I often use to feel like my lower stomach was out of proportion with the rest of my body, but no longer feel that way at all.

[quote user="C"]

i was wondering when HV would catch on to this post! :o) you have so much helpful insight.

[/quote]

Thanks C, thank you very much :D

Hi Molly!
Thanks for the info.  I appreciate it!  I have a hard time with the meat substitues because the reason I don't eat meat partly has to do with the fact that I don't like the texture.  Strange...I know.  Are there any products that you have come about that are high in protein but not necessarily the consistency of meat (you know, that gristley/chewy texture)?  I have never been to any of the vegetarian restaurants in the city.  I will have to check them out sometime.  Hope all is well! 

Katie