Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Common Virus

We ran this article today that found an association between Type 1 diabetes and a common virus. Check it out: Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Common Virus: Study

I don't have a specific question, but would rather hear people's thoughts and opinions on this.

--Chris

This sounds eerily familiar.  My parents told me that I had a high fever right before I was diagnosed with diabetes.  I was nearly three years old at the time, so I don't remember anything about it.  I've heard other type 1 diabetics with similar stories. 

Is anyone familiar with other reliable studies regarding this phenomenon?  If so, did the results of the study differ?

I haven't heard of other results/studies done on this link but I wonder if it's just that virus with such a high prevalence in newly diagnosed people.  I know that a couple months before I was diagnosed, I had a cold which led to an inflamed hip and it seems that that's what triggered the autoimmune response.  I was also young so I don't remember much else. 

I was dx in 1945, when I was 6. I had chicken pox and mumps several months before that. he two diseases were so close together, I think that damaged my pancreas and started my symptoms leading to my type 1.

There is a discussion on another D site that asks the question "What caused your Type 1 diabetes?". There are many pages of replies. By far the most common replies involve viruses and illnesses of all sorts.