Travelling with insulin

Hi... I'm making a move cross-country next month. Right now I am getting my insulin fairly cheap through a university hospital care program, so I was thinking about getting all my refills, maybe 3-4 months worth, so about 6-8 vials. What is the best way to take them on the plane with me?

When I have taken flights, I put my insulin in a larger plastic bag with an ice pack in it.  It usually stays pretty cool.  Then I just throw the bag into a carry on or put it in my large purse!  Good luck with your move!

I've also used insulated packs that are made for baby bottles on car trips b/c they're smaller and softer than a lunch bag or cooler. (babiesrus.com)

Have a good move.

Thanks for the tips. Do you think I'll have any problems bringing that much insulin?

I just went on a vacation with 3 vials and 5 pens and I never told anyone when I was going through, but just had all my supplies (syringes and stuff too) in my carry-on and nobody said a thing.  I don't think it's ever a problem.

I don't think you'll have any problems.  They never say or ask me anything except when I was wearing a pump......If you use bags....make sure they are Ziploc!!!  Or some similar brand that seals at the top!:D

I've never had a problem either but I do always bring a letter from my doctor just to be on the safe side.

I've never had a problem either; but I have noticed that they do check for prescription labels sometimes - so make sure you keep the labels on the boxes.

If you are bringing it in a carry-on, a letter from your doctor might be a good idea, and make sure nothing has been opened. If you are checking luggage, a lunch box or something with ice packs in it always worked fine for me.

Also, you may want to call the airline and check with them. If they know you are coming and what you are bringing, they may be able to help you out if you get stopped at security.

Good luck with the move!

I'm taking my 12 year old son who has T1 to Disneyland in a week and a half. I called the TSA and the Endo to see what needed to be done in order to carry needles, pens, insulin, even JUICE on the plane with us.

I was advised by the TSA that he MUST have a letter from his endo confirming his diagnosis and why he must carry the needles, juice, meds, with him. Also, all his meds, syringes, pens, tester, Glucagon, juices, and all the other supplies need to be in a see through ziplock bag so the TSA security can see it.

They also advised us to show up approximatley 30 minutes earlier than normal in case we need to go talk to the TSA "big guy" (forgot his title). I'm hoping we wont have much of a prob. We have to be there at 5am already...I don't want to be there earlier than that!!! I'm NOT a morning person ;-).

The endo ensures us that she does this almost on a daily basis and that there usually isn't a prob.

Sorry, I forgot to add one more thing....The TSA person I spoke with also informed us that we MUST carry a hard sided sharps container with us on the airplane. He said that they will not allow syringes on the plane without a sharps container.

[quote user="Shelly "]

I was advised by the TSA that he MUST have a letter from his endo confirming his diagnosis and why he must carry the needles, juice, meds, with him. Also, all his meds, syringes, pens, tester, Glucagon, juices, and all the other supplies need to be in a see through ziplock bag so the TSA security can see it.

They also advised us to show up approximatley 30 minutes earlier than normal in case we need to go talk to the TSA "big guy" (forgot his title). I'm hoping we wont have much of a prob. We have to be there at 5am already...I don't want to be there earlier than that!!! I'm NOT a morning person ;-).

[/quote]

It depends on which airport you're at.  I just flew last Thursday and again yesterday.  At Omaha's airport, I did not get any hassle about my supplies (I asked for them to be hand-checked, and had nothing but agreement from the TSA people) but because of my insulin pump, I set off the x-ray and had to have a full-body search and wanding.  The TSA lady was really cool about it, and asked me a lot of questions about how my pump and CGM work.  I didn't mind it at all.

At Hartford (Bradley), I had to ask the lady THREE TIMES to hand check my items, because she insisted her "boyfriend is diabetic, and all of his stuff can go through the x-ray".  I had to repetitively tell her that I would be more comfortable if they were hand-checked, then she only hand-checked the test strips, and put the rest through the x-ray.  In all of that commotion, I forgot to grab my meter out of the bag, and it went through x-ray... and now has two lovely lines through the screen that it didn't previously have.  Awesome.  Also, I went through the detector with no problems in Hartford.  I was wearing the same exact things, too.

All of my D supplies had the prescription label on them.  In all the times I've flown, I've never needed a doctor's note.  Your experience may vary, but it hasn't ever been something I needed.  Even when I had it, they told me they didn't need to see it.

Good luck!