Traveling to Egypt

I am planning to visit Egypt at the end of this year to visit my family over there. I used to go there a lot with my parents, my dad is from Egypt, when I was growing up and never had a problem with my diabetes because my parents were always there. Then after college I got really busy working a lot. Now my grandmother is old and sick, she is 95 years old, and I want to see her while I still have a chance. My grandfather passed on the same year I graduated college and felt guilty that I could not go see him because I had just started a new job. Now I am going to Egypt alone and I am worried that if I have a blood sugar emergency what will happen. I know that it is a 3rd world country and the medical care is not as good as here in the USA. Any suggestions???

Hi There,

I have learned some tips through trial and error over the years that I can share, though I haven’t traveled to a third world country. That said, I’ll apply this strategy to backpacking trips where I know that if something goes wrong it’s a few days before I’m back in the City… I’ve learned to pack a plan A, a plan B, and a plan C. For me that’s enough insulin and pump and testing strips so that I can change my site 2x the amount of times that I think I will need to, so that I can have 2 pump sites be bad and have enough backup, and an extra vial of insulin in case I lose one (that’s never happened but you never know). Also I pack a hypodermic or an insulin pen in case the pump fails. That has happened to me, it’s like murphy’s law that it would fail on the flight out and it’s a friday night and the doctor’s office doesn’t open until Monday. For low sugars I have a bag in my purse with four tubes of glucose tablets and whatever stable snacks like fruit rollups or snack bars will fit. Things that don’t get smooshed during travel and won’t melt or freeze. For backpacking I pack twice the food that I plan to eat plus lots of M&Ms in addition to the items described above in my bag. I always plan scenarios in advance of what happens if I get a low in the middle of the night (or whatever, wherever)? Finally I find air travel with diabetes to be much easier than it used to be, getting through security with a pump and CGM isn’t bad and I don’t usually claim my insulin as a liquid or gel. Once or twice I have, but not usually.

Good luck!

I am going be staying in Alexandria with my family. Alexandria is a big city by the Mediterranean Sea. Alexandria - Wikipedia
But the summers are brutal there and the cuisine there is a lot of carbs.

Have a doctors note that you are a diabetic. It may come in handy!

Hi Noosa - I’m curious if you’re on a CGM? The thing I worry most when traveling is a low blood sugar, bad enough that it requires medical care. The CGM helps prevent that, acting as a second “set of eyes” on your numbers.

Secondly, if possible, maybe it would help to avoid eating a ton of carbs at each meal? That may help you avoid the roller coaster effect on your numbers. Since it’s your family you’re staying with, I wonder if you can ask them to stock up on more low-carb options before you get there?

Lastly, I believe I’ll be in Egypt in the summer (I’m currently on a year-long trip through South America, parts of Africa, including Egypt, and SE Asia). If you want to chat in the fall, before your trip, I’d be happy to!

Good luck!
Laura
www.diabetictraveler.org