Too skinny for a pump?

That's totally awesome!  I flew through Omaha and La Guardia last month and didn't have any issues - but that was because I disconnected before going through the scanner each time.

Glad it went well for you!

Yeah, I don't take my pump off for the TSA anymore. I take the clip off of it and then just stick it in my pocket. It depends what the sensitivity of the metal detector is regarding whether or not the battery sets it off. I haven't had an issue since I went through Logan Airport last year where I got frisked after the pump set it off.

I just detach my pump and put it in the carry on. 

Also, I never point out my insulin pump or syringes to TSA agents unless they ask.   The few times I tried to be upfront I was put in the "trouble maker" line and frisked. 

I just thought I would add this. I have been diabetic for 17 years now and I fly about once or twice a year. The first year or so (while still on shots) I always carried a script and told the TSA that I had needles and what I had. They never seemed to care, so it has become kind of a game now. I never tell them anything now, and wait to see if they ask about anything (needles, insulin, lancets, pump supplies, insulin pump). I have not been stopped or asked about a single thing.

Anyways, that was pretty darn cool that the agent knew it was a pump.

Dan

This is good to hear. My medtronic pump never set off any alarms but when I switched to the deltec it did. I tried to explain to security that it was probably my pump that set it off and that I wanted to take it off and put it in a bin, then walk through again. They didn't listen to a word I said and insisted on a pat-down. I was pretty frustrated and tried to explain a second time, but they wouldn't have any of it. So annoying. Needless to say, I take my pump off now!

That's certainly good that you had a positive experience with someone from security, but I have to say it's a little unsettling to think that metal detectors might be becoming more sensitive to insulin pumps.  I didn't fly for years after 9/11, partly out of circumstance but also partly out of fear (not of terrorists, but of ignorant security people trying to separate me from my supplies).  The first time I flew with my pump, I explained what it was and presented the note from my dr. before going through security, but it didn't end up setting off any alarms - however, I did have to listen to the security agent tell me how bad her mother is about taking her type 2 medication, while I was barefoot in the middle of JFK at 4 am.  After that very traumatic experience, I have flown a handful of times and never said anything, and I've never set off any alarms.

That's awesome! I unfortunately had an opposite reaction at the Philly airport which resulted in me having to take off my pump, shoes, etc., be separated into a spare glass chamber, and be patted down :( After that, I just take the pump off for a few minutes. Even with a doctor's note, airport security called me out and made a scene. It was sooo awkward!

I've flown a couple dozen times for work since I've had the pump, and only once did it get any extra attention. The pump companies used to say 'don't go through the metal detectors with it' so depending on my mood I'll either just go through it or I'll ask for a pat down instead of the metal detector (and from someone who's had a couple dozen of them - a pat down is certainly not a traumatic experience as it is often portrayed). Every time I have told them I want a pat down, they recognized my pump and tell me 'it's ok to go through the detector with it, but it's your choice.' The only time it got extra attention was the most recent time I flew out of Laguardia when I chose to just walk through the detector, and apparently my shirt had caught on the clip so the pump was visible on my hip. They guy saw it, and pulled me aside, and they took little cotton swabs to it and then put them through a chemical detector. Again, no big deal.

As for making you take it off - they can't. Tell them you can't take it off, it's delivering medication. period. I used to carry a note when I was first diagnosed, but after never being asked I didn't renew it when it expired after a year.

That's fantastic! I'm glad to hear that some TSA agents are educated about insulin pumps.

Yeah, I love SFO!  I live near there, so I fly out of there often.  I think because that there's so many people that come through there, it's not uncommon for them to see insulin pumps.  Plus, I think they're more educated about it just because the Bay Area is a fast advancing area for technology & medicines.  Every time I go through their security, I never have a problem.  They just let me through and if I don't beep, they don't search me.  Once, just b/c there were so many people coming through too fast or something, they asked if they could "wipe" my hands.  They didn't body search me, just made me touch my pump with both hands and then they wiped my palms down and tested it, but that was it.  

However, when I was flying out of New Orleans, they took me aside and did a FULL pat down!  When the security woman felt the bump on my leg where my pump site was, they asked me what that was and kept "feeling" it!  I was like, "That's my pump site, where it's inserted."  (I wanted to say, "Dummy! Can't u see the tubing from my pump leading to the inside of my pants?! Common sense, people!")  Then, the security woman felt the tubing and again, continued to ask me what was that!  (I kid you not when I say that I just wanted to SLAP her silly!)

I'm in Spain right now - flew out of Logan into Heathrow and out of Heathrow into Malaga, with pat downs in both london and boston. Pumps are not supposed to be x-rayed, so putting it in the carry on is out. I also brought a loaner pump, so I was trying to "sneak" two through security. The woman at Heathrow (this was at 4 AM my time) didn't know what a pump was. Then she discovered my CGM site and said "what's that?" I said " a continuous glucose monitor site." and she said, "a what?" I repeated myself, and she asked "what does it do?" I told her it monitors glucose levels, and she looked very skeptical. 

Overall not a traumatic experience, but not a good one, either.