Time Differences and Blood Sugars

I'm going to visit a friend in LA this August and it'll be the furthest I've ever been from home.  I've only been as far west as Nashville, which is only a 1 hour time difference.  I'm concerned about how a 3 hour time difference is going to affect my blood sugar, since I've never done this before.  Obviously, I will be testing my blood sugar regularly to make sure I'm OK, but what about insulin and eating?

Here are my flight times, to give you some perspective:
Baltimore (BWI) to Chicago (ORD) 7:50 PM - 8:54PM 
Chicago (ORD) to Los Angeles (LAX)10:05 PM - 12:32 AM

Los Angeles (LAX) to Chicago (ORD) 6:54 AM - 1:00 PM 
Chicago (ORD) to Baltimore (BWI) 2:35 PM - 5:29 PM

Before I leave BWI on the way to LA, I do plan on eating dinner and giving myself my insulin (I do MDI) as I normally would.  I will also be traveling with a friend on the flights to LA, but will be by myself coming back.

I have enough trouble regulating my blood sugar when I go to the beach 3 hours away, with the change in my schedule and exercise routine.  I can't imagine what this is going to be like.  :-/  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Are you on an Insulin pump or taking shots? The 1st time  I went to visit my brother in Spokane, WA (3 hours earlier that VT) I was on shots. So, I had to work with my diabetes Dr. She had me change the times I took my Lantus & my novolog was the same (every time I ate).

I am now on the pump. My last visit which was on February I didn't do anything but change the time on my pump. But the amount of insulin (BASAL rates) for me don't differ too much.

Really, my best advice, either make an appointment with your dr of call him/her & they will walk you through it & tell you what to do. Better safe than sorry.

I always make sure  I have planty of Glucose tabs & bring a snack (usually a granola bar) to hold me over, Be a girl scout! LOL Just in case... Bring extra insulin & supplies!

Good Luck & Have Fun!

Kristin

Thanks, Kristin! 

I do injections at breakfast, lunch and dinner (novolog, NPH and lantus).  I actually saw the endo yesterday, but unfortunately she wasn't much help.  My dr. is on maternity leave, so I had to see another dr. in the practice.  Basically, I think it's a matter of testing reguarly and doing insulin in conjunction with meals, both of which I do anyway.  I'll be in LA four days and it usualy takes my body a couple days to adjust when I get off schedule.  The friend I'm going with and the friend I'm visiting are really good about eating at the times that work best for me.  It's nice to have such understanding friends. :)