That's what's going on!

I just read the blog

Study Confirms that Insulin-Producing Cells Can Live On in People with Type 1 Diabetes

I think this is me also because every, I don't know something like 2 months I start getting lows. Today I didn't use any Lantus and bs stayed about 115. Went to Mc Donalds ate a 1/4 pounder and fries did the usual amount of Novolog and 2 hrs later dropped to 60. OMG just checked my bs after a meal of pure carbs. LOL just kidding but close Taco Cassrole, made with tortilla chips, corn and  beans and a side of rice. I ate a bunch did half my usual dose and 2 hrs later guess what my bs is??? !00 all I can say is WTF???? I am just weird!!!

Read about this once--Made me feel good just knowing that :) hey,that food sounds good too :)

[quote user="Keith221"]Study Confirms that Insulin-Producing Cells Can Live On in People with Type 1 Diabetes[/quote]

I have been in the medalist study since it started in 2005. My own theory is that the body keeps trying to replace the beta cells that have been destroyed by the immune system, and the immune system keeps on destroying these new cells. So there is a steady state of constant turnover. It's more pronounced in some people, and probably absent in others. I don't think the destruction is immediate, so some insulin actually gets produced - hence the measurable c-peptide.

Tom

That is amazing Keith, that is almost like having a honeymoon period, but I know it is too late for you to be experiencing that.

Tom mentioned the Joslin Medalist Study and long term type 1's who still have functioning beta cells. I participated in that study in Dec, 2009. All the participants in the study have been type 1 for at least 50 years. A significant number of them have a C-peptide > 0.6 and functioning beta cells. It seems likely that you do too. All participants were given a glucose tolerance test. Some of them had a high BG at one hour but a lower BG at two hours. That shows they were producing some of their own insulin. No bolus insulin was allowed since the previous evening so there was no insulin available to handle that glucose drink unless it was produced internally. My BG increased from 240+ at one hour, to 320+ at two hours. My C-peptide earlier that year was < 0.1. It is therefore obvious that I produce no insulin.So why have I been type 1 for 64 years and have no complications? There is an attempt being made to answer that question. I am not the only type 1 in the study like that. It is hoped that some factor(s) will be discovered to explain the longevity of the type 1 medalists who have no serious complications. If these factors are found, maybe a treatment can be found to help younger and more recently diagnosed type 1's to avoid serious complications. Time will tell, the study is to conclude in April, 2011 after 750 medalists have participated.

I agree Tom, I think it's a constant battle between beta and immune.

Yea I guess I get lucky once in a while and beta wins a little. If I remember right I think you have to get to less than 10% beta cells and type 1 comes on.