Testing at night

I have noticed that my dad gets up in the middle of the night a lot to test and eat. Yet, I haven't had to get up in the middle of the night because of low blood sugar.

Could it be because he is on a pump and receiving his basal insulin constantly and I'm not? Does anyone else (on or off the pump) experience low blood sugar frequently in the middle of the night?

-Courtney

I am on the pump, so I adjust my basals to deliver at a lower rate at night.

[quote user="amyl1027"]

I am on the pump, so I adjust my basals to deliver at a lower rate at night.

[/quote]

I feel as if my dad needs to change his basal rate at night because he tells me that he wakes up 4-5 times a week sometimes every night.

Is his blood sugar always low, or are these false alarms?  No change is needed is BG levels are ok.  Interestingly, there is research that shows diabetics with good control are at a higher risk of hypoglycemic unawareness, so the presence/absence of somatic signals is not always trustworthy.

He is always low every time he checks in the middle of the night. My dad can usually guess what range his blood sugar will be at before checking.

I also have a reduced basal rate during the night, and so far I've had no lows.  Mostly highs, actually.

My son is 9 and he has had diabetes for 2 1/2 years.  He has had some lows during the night with shots and on the pump.  His can be from how much activity he has had during the day.  Sometimes there is no reason I can pin point for the low.  We fixed it by changing his basal rate in the pump.  I love the pump for that reason.  You can adjust all kinds of things to meet your needs.

Im not on the pump yet but i wake up every night at one (for my moms sake...she worrys) and more than half the time im low. Sometimes im like right in the good range but if i dont eat anything then im low in the mornings.

I'm usually about 60-70 in the morning, but I have never had to wake up in the middle of the night.

I am on the pump and I haven't had to wake up in the middle of the night due to a low, since i first had my basal set. My basal insulin is always changing during the day. I have require more at lunch and I'm less than half when I am asleep. It just depends on the time.

Does he normally adjust his settings or does he wait to see his doctor? I know it is probably very irritating for him to get up so much during the week, so he should possibily change his basal to be somewhat lower for the night or see his doctor and talk to him/her about adjusting the settings.

Courtney I have had the same problem as your father from time to time (I'm also on the pump). I've found that reducing my basal isn't enough, so I also have a snack before bed (something with starch so it doesn't raise my BS rapidly, and about 25 grams) without bolusing for it and that tends to work well (oatmeal, cheese and crackers, peanut butter on bread are all good)

I wake up low sometimes at night and will take glucose pills etc. But some people, including myself, have been told by their endocrinologists to test their blood sugar at night if they wake up to use the restroom or something. I mean, you're up so you might as well make sure your numbers are good!

My son is 7 and is on the pump. He has a snack before bed and I get up and test him at 12am ( which is when we do a bathroom run because at about 240 bg he automatically urinates and doesnt wake up- deep sleeper) and at 3am and then again at 6am for breakfast.  I think all folks are different and with kids doing the majority of their growing during sleep- he fluctuates quite a bit with hormones and such playing a factor.  There really are many variable in play during the night. As one other posted, the activity level during the day affects your BG at night too, so lots to consider. My theory is: better safe than sorry. I set my timer and get up at least 2 times to check nightly. 

My son isn't on the pump and i always check his bloodsugar at 12am and 3am and he is low alot in the 40's and 50's and I always give him a snack befor bed,His endo. recently decreased his Lantus but that hasn't helped much.

Hi Marcella, does your son recieve insulin at night or in the morning?

Sorry Marcella, I meant does he receive Lantus in the AM or PM?