Telus walk for a cure

So i just registered last night for the JDRF/Telus walk in Toronto, in support of my little guy Jesse. I didn't see any information about the length of the walk, anyone have a clue, maybe you've done it before, also I think I may have a hard time asking people for donations,  pretty sad as this is the whole point of the walk i know. any suggestions there....

if you have a donation page post the link please :)

http://jdrfca.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&eventID=805&participantID=44594

If anyone can spare a buck or two, thank you, hope this link works

Chris - you're all set.

check out my charity too! benefits Special Olympics MD

http://www.plungemd.kintera.org/pfink

Hi Chris,

We're practically neighbours - I'm in Kitchener, ON!  i do a lot of volunteer work for my local JDRF, including being part of the Walk committe that organizes the events in our area:  Guelph, Owen Sound and Waterloo/Cambridge.  Each walk is just a little bit different from the others, but I will attempt to answer your questions as best I can...

The length of the course depends on how they've laid it out.  Generally, it'll be somewhere in the six to eight kilometre range.  Long enough so that you feel like you've done something, but not so long that it is impossible for the non-athletic person.  Also, there is often a children's course, which is a lot shorter, about 2 km at most.  If the length of the course is a priority for you, just call or email your JDRF office and they will tell you.  I know I often get asked the length of it as I approach people for donations - as if that's what really counts!  LOL

As far as getting donations, you've already made the first step in registering with DonorDrive (it happens automatically when you register for the Walk online).  I, like you as well as most people, do not feel overly comfortable approaching people for money.  The key is to remember WHY you're doing it.  I try to approach my friends and family in a somewhat different way...  instead of saying "Would you like to sponsor me for...", I say "How much should I put you down for ...?".  I find it makes it harder for people to say No straight out!  (Is that cruel...?).  Even if I only get $2 from ten people, that's 20 more than I had before!  I find that once I get started, the donations add up quickly.  Last year, my total was $1405!  This year, I am aiming for $1500 - we'll see what happens!

Again, just remember that your little guy Jesse deserves every effort that you put into it!  Good luck! 

Nads

I love doing the Walk. It is so awesome! The one in Charlotte is 3 miles. I might be different though. Last year my team raised over $2,000. It's really amazing seeing all of the people. Good Luck!

[quote user="Nads"]

As far as getting donations, you've already made the first step in registering with DonorDrive (it happens automatically when you register for the Walk online).  I, like you as well as most people, do not feel overly comfortable approaching people for money.  The key is to remember WHY you're doing it.  I try to approach my friends and family in a somewhat different way...  instead of saying "Would you like to sponsor me for...", I say "How much should I put you down for ...?".  I find it makes it harder for people to say No straight out!  (Is that cruel...?).  Even if I only get $2 from ten people, that's 20 more than I had before!  I find that once I get started, the donations add up quickly.  Last year, my total was $1405!  This year, I am aiming for $1500 - we'll see what happens!

Again, just remember that your little guy Jesse deserves every effort that you put into it!  Good luck! 

Nads

[/quote]

For my donations for the Polar Bear Plunge, I created a Facebook group (Pats Polar Bear Plunge 2010) and invite all your friends to join that. Send periodic messages asking for donations. Go via email through your co-workers (unless you're gov't), family and friends and see how much that yields...If you're a member of discussion boards or online communities, such as this, post your donation info there.

I have no shame asking people for money for charity. The worst thing that happens is people don't give. But more often than not, someone will contribute something if they believe in your cause. JDRF and Special Olympics fall under my philanthropic umbrella.

I think you'll be all right :)

Pat

It's REALLY HARD to ask for donations. But I think you'll be surprised at the response when you do make the ask. People really want to help, but don't know the best way to do it. Asking for a donation lets them know one of the best ways to show support for Jesse.

The first time's the hardest. When we did our first family walk team for JDRF it was only 2 weeks after diagnosis. We were overwhelmed with the support, and now people look for our annual letter.