T1d exchange

Perhaps other members are already aware of a source I just came upon for information, education & taking part in research. It is called t1d exchange. It was founded in 2011 &
is described as follows: T1D Exchange is the nation’s most trusted provider of diabetes education, research, resources, and services. It is well worth spending 5 - 10 minutes to check it out. The website can be found at: t1dexchange.org

1 Like

Hi Henry, Thanks for the information! I just checked it out and it appears to be a good place for diabetes info and people with this disease.

Thanks,

Pam K.

You’re welcome. I’m 70, T1 65 yrs. I see you too are long time T1. I used to pride myself on staying current on info re: T1. Even subscribed to diabetes journal in the 70’s. Bought my 1st glucometer circa 1980. I’m not sure when it began but I think that there has been a research & information explosion in the last 20 years. I don’t even try to keep current anymore. Ive backed off checking out all the websites on diabetes due to a feeling of finformation overload. There are so many good sites with a lot of up to date information. Just working on control with Tandem t:slim x2 and Dexcom G6 keeps me busy. Wishing you good control!

Thanks again, Henry! I was diagnosed at age 2 1/2 and have been living with diabetes for 57 years (my “diaversary” is July 28). I don’t know about you, but I have found getting regulated on a pump with CGM very difficult. With the numerous settings, it’s hard to tell which one needs adjusting. I miss the days when a doctor could put me in a hospital bed for a couple of days to check my BGs and get my settings right (this was done for me years ago on a manually operated pump - - no electronics).
Wishing you good control as well!

Take care,
Pam

Hi @pamcklein. loop system works very well if the background settings are in place, but it can be a challenge to get those figured out. Now and then I do a basal rate check - I’m doing one now in fact. Yesterday I started at 6am and numbers were pretty steady until mid afternoon when I started dropping. It’s usually recommended that you check individual time segments but I like to see how long I can go before I need to stop (either because of my numbers or because I’m just plain tired of being hungry😊).
Once I figure out the basals my next culprit for any issues is my carb ratios. I typically check those against whatever I’m eating at each meal, but I think I’m going to eat the same thing for each next time around. I don’t mind a peanut butter and fruit spread sandwich for breakfast lunch and dinner for “the cause” at least as a baseline. And I’ll go with packaged snacks whose counts I already know work for me if I need to bolus for them.
When it comes to correction factors there are formulas you can use. I say “formulas” plural because as I recall it may depend on the type of insulin you use so check with your doctor on this one. And don’t forget to check your weight that’s programmed into your pump. I don’t think a couple of pounds gain or loss makes a big difference but if I change by 5 or more I try to remember to update it.
Just sharing some tips - I understand the headache.

Thank you so much, Dorie! This is the info I’ve been looking for! :smiley:

Glad to help. BTW, in addition to fasting for basal checks there are other guidelines to follow - I don’t know if there’s a universal one or not, so check with your doctor to see what they use. I hope you can knock yours out quickly (I know I hate to hear my stomach growl😊).