"sugar free"

im sure everyone knows how bad sugar free candy tastes, so theres no need for me to describe it for ya.

i was wondering what your favorite and least favorite sugar free candies are?

my favorite woudl have to be jolly ranchers and my least fav is probably anything made with chocolate sweetened wiht splenda. yuck! gag me! all things made with sugar free chocolate taste horrible i think...

unless it's gum, i avoid any candy or goodies that say "sugar free". I'd rather eat the real thing and take a shot for it.

The only thing that says sugar free that i touch is gum and pancake syrup! =) yum. other then that i don't like it. speicaly chocolate always makes me very sick because they use milk extracts to substute the sugar. gross.

I eat the real thing. I like some sugar free hard candies and some have almost the same exact carbs as regular so it doesn't even matter if its SF or not. REal chocolate for me! MMmmMMmmm the fake stuff is nasty.

The only sugar free chocolate I can tolerate is chocolate covered pretzels, to which I consume like a billion pieces and will fall prey to the other side of sugar free chocolate. I like Gina tend to go for the real thing. It is healthier so to speak and we can count the carbs. Sugar free stuff is just blech.

Sugar-free anything except gum is horrible.  Sugar-free cookies apparently have more carbs than regular cookies anyway, which is weird.  I like real food.

I have been looking into the sugar free stuff and was surprised that some of them had more carbs than the real stuff!  I just assumed that because they were sugar free they were better.  I talked to the dietician and she said a lot of them have sugar alcohols that make them high in carbs. 

I say go for the good stuff!

-Meg (Emmies mom)

I do the real thing and just compensate for it.  Gum is the only sugar free item I enjoy.  Sugar free chocolate is evil in two forms:  it doesn't taste as good and it is typically sweetened with sorbitol which destroys your stomach.  The only discomfort from eating candy should be because you ate the entire bag.

Sweets are a weakness for me. I really want to even stay away from sugar free treats.  However I stick to some of the hard candies when eating sugar gree candy.  To me there is no real difference in taste.

i don't eat a lot of sugar free, but i don't avoid them either. i'll drink sugar free juices and diet pops. sometimes i'll eat sugar free foods, just to save on the insulin (especially breakfast... sugar free juice leaves me more carbs for the tasty stuff!). i've tried some other sugar free foods like ice cream, cereals, some candies, jams/jellies. they don't bother me, though i do prefer the taste of splenda artificial sweeteners to sugar alcohols or aspartame.

Ok sugar free is the devil. I bought all Rileys candy she got from her stocking from the grandparents house who somehow thought sugar free meant carb free. Anyhow I was eating some of it the flavor isnt bad but it kills my tummy. I can eat just about anything and my tummy is fine except that sugar free candy. Once we are on a flex plan I am SO buying her the real stuff.

i dont eat much candy, but when i have- its been mostly sugar free because my own T2 grandma thought sugar free = ok to eat!!! so i always bought sugar free everything thinking it was healthier- and if grandma came over, there would not be any temptations... not the case! so i view brenna's diagnosis and almost a blessing because we were able to teach grandma how to look at the carbs, not just the sugar content! maybe even helped prolong great grandma's life!

ANYWAYS- back to the candy issue- I never noticed a difference, but that was maybe because all we eat around here are peppermints and butterscotch!

sugar fee lollipops are good. my least favorite is definatly sugar free recess cups. its NASTY

I was just diagnosed December 1, so of course all my family thought the best gift for a newly diagnosed diabetic would be SUGAR FREE CANDY!  One of my cousins even bought me boxes of splenda...

I just tried a piece of everything I got with my parents, and most of it is definitely going in the garbage. The sugar free lifesavers and chocolate covered peanuts were alright though.

[quote user="Courtney"]

I was just diagnosed December 1, so of course all my family thought the best gift for a newly diagnosed diabetic would be SUGAR FREE CANDY!  One of my cousins even bought me boxes of splenda...

I just tried a piece of everything I got with my parents, and most of it is definitely going in the garbage. The sugar free lifesavers and chocolate covered peanuts were alright though.

[/quote]

my mother in law bought a box of splenda for my daughter. I wont use the stuff it foams up in ice tea that cant be good lol. Plus is has carbs in it I think 1 per teaspoon but I would rather use the pink or blue stuff with no carbs at all if she wants some for her tea or oatmeal. Its about all we use it for anyhow.

i agree with Courtney..i got diagnosed on November 24th and that was all i got..balloons and sugarfree candy...all verry gross if i do say so myself..reeses were prbly the worse. & what buggs me about it is that the carbs r basically the same as regular candy!!..lifesavers were prbly the only ones i liked.

But chocolate...deffidently went in the trash

I dont kown why U guys think that Sugar-free stuff is groos....Well maybe it is because I rasied onsuger-free cady...(got diabetes at age 3 1/2) And I think it is because i was raised on suger-free stuff but I like just about anything that is suger-free....I got 3 pags for chritmas and I  LOVED it was Coffe fraverd freach vanilla...And one is butterscotch

That sucks tho that they gave you that stuff or christmas ( for courtney)

It's ok but some kinds if you eat too much they have a laxitive effect. :(

things sweetened with splenda are alright. sweet and low and equal taste horrible!

jessica, splenda has no more carbs than sweet and low or equal. All three have carbs in the bulking agent (either dextrose or maltodextrin). You can buy liquid sucralose, which does not contain carbohydrate at all, but it's harder to find.