Sugar and christmas

what is everyoene doing during the holidays?not looking forward to it much with all the sugary treats. but its the first time...

I basically just eat what i want and take the insulin for it.
If i'm high later, then i'll just get correction for it.
I know it might not be the best thing to do, but it works okay for me.

I've only had diabetes for about 3 weeks (november 28 was when i was diagnosed) and i'm only 14, so i aint much help but what i do when everyone is eating cookies and stuff is just take a shot and join right in, i'm in the "honeymoon stage" or somethin like that so i'm usually low anyway so it all works out fine, expecially last night my bs was 48 and i felt like CRAP so i had two sugar cookies, a 12 oz glass of hawian punch, and a banana. and it only raised it to 82, but i checked it only 1/2 an hour latter so idk what it was 1 hour latter it might have been high idk

i know right!  it's like eat and bolus, eat and bolus.  so far my numbers have been okay, except the one time i was almost 400 for no reason...i'm staying home, practicing, reading, seeing friends, and probably going skiing after christmas. 

*eats a candy kiss*

It's not that hard on a pump.  I just eat whatever, then take a bolus... given that it's not a ton of sugar all day, because that's not healthy for anyone.

[quote user="Billy"]I've only had diabetes for about 3 weeks (november 28 was when i was diagnosed) and i'm only 14, so i aint much help but what i do when everyone is eating cookies and stuff is just take a shot and join right in, i'm in the "honeymoon stage" or somethin like that so i'm usually low anyway so it all works out fine[/quote]

I`ve only had it for 3months(begining of september, first week of school). I`m also in the honeymoon stage now but the last few days by blood sugars been high.

Oh. It seems like all of you have a pump. I don`t yet. any suggestions for mdis that can`t give themselves a shot yet?

OK, so I am on the pump now...but I used to take shots too. My suggestion is that you try it one time, but don't do it really fast like the teach you at the hospital. I always did mine really, really slow. I know it sounds backwards, but when I gave myself a shot really slow...low and behold...it does NOT hurt. (Unless you hit a nerve.....and you will know when you do...and there isn't much you can do about that but say a few bad words and jump around for a few seconds then it will stop hurting). So my advice is to suck it up just once....and try and give yourself a shot and put the needle in slowly...then push the syringe slowly. It really hurts a lot less when you do it that way. Doing it quickly always hurt so much more....my mother who is a nurse HATED watching me do this...but I swear it works!

[quote user="stephsalem"]

OK, so I am on the pump now...but I used to take shots too. My suggestion is that you try it one time, but don't do it really fast like the teach you at the hospital. I always did mine really, really slow. I know it sounds backwards, but when I gave myself a shot really slow...low and behold...it does NOT hurt. (Unless you hit a nerve.....and you will know when you do...and there isn't much you can do about that but say a few bad words and jump around for a few seconds then it will stop hurting). So my advice is to suck it up just once....and try and give yourself a shot and put the needle in slowly...then push the syringe slowly. It really hurts a lot less when you do it that way. Doing it quickly always hurt so much more....my mother who is a nurse HATED watching me do this...but I swear it works!

[/quote]

I'm on shots also and he's right, you gotta do it SLOWLY!! Not like ten seconds just sticking the needle in but just slowly, doing it fast does hurt worse and if you move it, which you probly will if your doing it fast, while its in that also doesnt feel so good so if you do it slow your chances of hurting yourself are alot less, but then the pump, i dont have it but i've heard great things, i hope to get one, even tho im comfortable with needles

I always have my family buy sugar free stuff for me.