Still gaining

I've been kicking my butt in the gym and nothing is working. My blood sugar is still high and my weight is going up? I'm getting married in july 2011, I fear i will reach 200 pds soon. I was 165 when i found out i had diabeties and since i started the insulin i have gained weight since then, regardless of my efforts in the gym. I need help i don't want to be a bulging bride.-octavia

When I exercise a lot, I get hungrier and eat more. So, I try to be extra careful about snacking.

But, maybe it's muscle weight? (;

Congrats on your wedding!

In response to the concern about going low after cardio, I've found "The Diabetic Athlete" by Sheri Colberg to provide helpful hints for various activities based on the type of activity that I am doing. I find it helpful when I am trying a new activity and am not 100% sure how my body may react. I like that it has suggestions for both injectors and pumpers, and uses examples to make the point.

I do most of my cardio first thing in the morning. I like eating oatmeal and fruit and only covering a portion of the carbs. That allows me to start spin class at around 10 - 12 mmol/L, complete the class without a low and make it through the morning without tonnes of snacking.

As for me, I'd like to drop 10 - 15 lbs by the summer. I was a great weight at the end of August and since being back in uni, the figure has definitely filled out! My schedule is more accommodating this semester so here's hoping that the gym, healthy eating, walking and taking the stairs more, will help out!

A few things to remember (and hopefully encourage you!):

1. It's not just about the numbers! Especially the numbers on the scale. It's about how you feel.

2. Remember, if weight lifting is part of your workout, muscle weighs more than fat. Have somebody who works at the gym you go to do a fitness assessment for you. This should include a total body composition which will tell you what your body mass index is. (They may also be able to help you figure out what foods are causing your weight gain so you can avoid those)

3. Meet with a registered dietitian and come up with a meal plan that's right for you.

Best of luck to you!!

My diabetic doctor told me to loose weight it is 70% about what you eat and i should only eat 120-150 carbs a day which is not alot, also i was told to walk on the treadmill for 30 then 10 on the eliptical then 15 on the treadmill.. I am trying to loose weight as well!

Hi there!

I find that I end of focusing more on my sugar and less on eating the right things...when my sugar drops down, I find myself eating whatever i need to eat to get mu sugar back up and that is not the right thing to do when it comes to losing weight.

My husband has struggled ever since I met him 5 years ago to lose weight and he finally found something that works.  He started using this Zija Nutrition/Weight Management System and he has lost 30 pounds so far.  I think this system is so very different because it accomplishes a lot of things at one time - weight loss, increase in energy, and helps you to feel better.  And one more plus - it is all natural - no artificial anything.

I'm not one to try gimmicks or tricks so I have only done the nutrition part so far and it has made such a huge difference in how I feel.  I didn't not realize how bad I felt before or how much energy I did NOT have until now that I have started feeling so good.   But now that my husband has had such great results in losing weight, I finally started the weight loss part this week.  I don't feel as hungry as I did before and I definitely don't feel like eating everything in site like I have in the past.

I'm also starting to exercise since I feel so good and have so much energy.  Exercise is a big part of losing weight - even if it is just walking each day.  But it is so very hard to start up...why does everything have to be so challenging?  D:

I sure don't mean to push this on people, but I have seen so many people start to feel so very good that I want to share it with everyone who may need it.

Please check out this site:  http://www.kougl.myzija.com/

BTW congratulations on your upcoming marriage!  That is so exciting!  Kathy

So sorry, forgot to mention that we can send you a few free samples if you would like to try it...a few days and you will feel a big difference!

Just let me know!  Kathy