Statins and Type 1 at 54

Hi Dorie @wadawabbit , ain’t these annoying phones also handy at times. And now [by this summer time] we will be able to initiate our bolus dossing from compatible phones utilizing t:Connect app; FDA just cleared this feature.

Another thing, be aware that the “range” and other notes on standard lab reports may not apply to you; they are by nature too general. For instance, my lab report summary for HbA1c [5.5] says I don’t have diabetes; the report 3 months earlier [5.6] warned me that I was at risk for becoming diabetic. As for cholesterol, I recall the professor of endo studies at the medical school, also my attending, telling me that the appropriate “target” for Total Cho for me is 100; that was when I began my statin regimen even though my numbers fell well within range on the standard charts. As the doctor who diagnosed my diabetes many years ago told me, he would never “doctor himself” or his family.

@Dennis yes, another “superpower” for our phones. I typically keep my pump in my pocket - fishing it out can be a challenge so that will come in handy.
I don’t remember your pump history offhand - do you recall when the Minimed pumps had a remote control? My trainer said not to worry - each one was programmed with a uniquely programmed to work with a particular pump, so no one else could control yours and - most important :blush: - it wouldn’t open your garage door. Mine were the 504, 506, 507c and 508 - Minimed pumpers, do the newer devices still have one?

1 Like

Yes Dorie @wadawabbit , I received that remote with my MM-505, and it worked with two subsequent MM pumps.
Although Bolus could be administered with the remote, the only reason I linked paired it was so that my wife could easily suspend all insulin delivery if needed.

Yep. It’s one of the reason my exercise level dropped off.

Katherine, I started taking statins about a month ago as a “preventative measure”. My endo said that a T1s liver can produce too much cholesterol and that it is not always dependent on one’s diet. I had two fairly dramatic side-effects: significant muscle pain that went so far as severe back pain that reduced my mobility, and statins also reduced my sensitivity to insulin by about 15-20%. I have recently reduced the dosage from 20mg to 10mg and may have to stop them altogether. If you Google Statins and diabetes the effect on IS and potential back pain seem to be well documented. As usual, it depends on your body as well as your interactions with other medications.