Some Type 1 Diabetics Seem Shielded Against Complications - Article

Found this via Twitter a little bit ago.

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/651365.html

Pretty interesting article (to me) as I've never had a "perfect A1C" and it's only been below 8.2 TWICE in my 17years. For the first 12years-ish of my Diabetes..I was in the 10-12 range, then I got it down to 9 just before my pre-teen years and floated around there until about 5years ago I got switched to Lantus/Novorapid and started floating in the 8.2-8.9 range..only getting it to 7.6 and 7.4 due to extreme number of lows. Yet, here I am 17years later still with zero signs of complications and zero preventative medications. I've got other health stuff but nothing linked to my diabetes.

I've never known why, considering I've been told (not by my mother who would never say such things but by doctors, other parents, nurses) since I was 6years old I would die young, go blind and lose limps if I didn't have a "perfect" A1C at all times.

It'll be interesting to see if they discover why some of us get them no matter how in control we are and some of us seem to be lucky enough not to regardless of control level.

Btw not trying to rub this in people's faces who have complications, I consider myself extremely lucky. Especially considering I don't have ideal control and I don't follow a "Diabetic Routine" (as many of you know, I drink, I smoke, I did drugs for a long time and I eat cupcakes and donuts whenever I want - within reason).

I too found the article interesting. I've had type 1 for 43 years. No complications, no preventative medications. And like you, Batts, I don't /never  have  had a perfect A1C. For the last 30 years the A1C's have been between 7 & 8. Last one a couple of weeks ago was 7.7.

When I was diagnosed I was told the same, blindness, amputation, no children...I was told complications usually start after 15 years with Diabetes. I am grateful and feel lucky everyday that I'm  "healthy" and can still enjoy running, bicycling, swimming, seeing the sunset...Having Diabetes has not stopped me from living a great life!

Donna

I a quick reply, my husband who is an EMT had a patient that was 95 yrs, old who was diagnosed when he was 4 yrs. old and was told he would not live past 10. To think back than that being diagnosed  with type 1 diabetes was a death sentence and that he is still alive and well at 95 is wonderful!! My son is 9 and was just diagnosed 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for the link. I'd heard this data out of Joslin, but I hadn't heard about these AGE's.

They gave those statistics for complications, but that's for people diagnosed before our current technology. So, hopefully today, complication rates are even lower!

I've wondered about this before too.  My mom has been T1 for over 40yrs and has never had an A1c below 9.0 (I swear she has a phobia of going low).  And she's completely healthy, except for high cholesterol (controlled by meds). 

I don't think T1's get complications like the T2's.  I've lived a fairly normal life, having D for 57 years.  I don't remember any doc telling me about a A1c until 10 or 12 years ago and I adamantly refused to give more than 1 shot a day until about 2002.  Urine/blood testing, decades would go by.  Diabetically, I'm pretty healthy.  When I think of all the abuse I've given to my body (sugar wise) I am surprised I'm alive.

Thanks for sharing Batts. 

[quote user="Batts"]

Btw not trying to rub this in people's faces who have complications, I consider myself extremely lucky. Especially considering I don't have ideal control and I don't follow a "Diabetic Routine" (as many of you know, I drink, I smoke, I did drugs for a long time and I eat cupcakes and donuts whenever I want - within reason).

[/quote]

Batts, I wouldn't start gloating just yet.  It's still very early in the game for you.  You've only had it 1/2 as long as me and 1/3 or a 1/4 of what others on here have.  There's (probably) a lot of time left.  You could be jinxing yourself.  Be careful !!

[quote user="DDrumminMan"]

[quote user="Batts"]

[/quote]

Batts, I wouldn't start gloating just yet.  It's still very early in the game for you.  You've only had it 1/2 as long as me and 1/3 or a 1/4 of what others on here have.  There's (probably) a lot of time left.  You could be jinxing yourself.  Be careful !!

[/quote]

haha I'm not gloating (or at least I don't think that's gloating) so I think I'll be alright. I've always wondered why nothing has happened to me yet when I meet other D's who are already experiencing problems only a few years in but I don't think I'm jinxing myself because I've never said I'm immune to it happening at all; I've been lucky so far and that's just it; luck. I still panic every time something is "off" with me thinking it's the start of something. If it happens though, it happens and I'll deal with it, regardless of if I ended up jinxing myself or not! =)

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. Now, after 65 years of T1D, my only complication is some minor nerve damage. I participated in the Joslin Medalist Study in 2009. There had been 500+ participants at that time. The Study coordinator told me some participants admitted that they had never taken good care of themselves, but had no serious complications. There were others who had taken very good care of themselves, but DID have some complications. All participants were essentially in good shape though, with nothing seriously wrong. I had some retinopathy and neuropathy at the turn of the century, even though my A1c had been less than 6.0 for several years. I had a roller coaster control and the ups and downs over a long period of time can cause complications, even when the BG average is very good. I started pumping in 2007, and a few months later my BG was much more stable, no longer like a roller coaster. All the symptoms of retinopathy  and neuropathy disappeared. Pumping has been great for me!!!

There is a meet-up of the Joslin Medalists in Boston on June 3 & 4. I will be there and am anxious to meet my online friends who are also Medalists. A report will be given by Dr King, head of the Joslin Study, while we are there.

[quote user="Richard Vaughn"]

All participants were essentially in good shape though, with nothing seriously wrong.

[/quote]

Even though it's a self-selected group, that's still great to hear!

Richard, this is so encouraging.  Our son was diagnosed about a year and a half ago and his doctor has him on an experimental treatment which so far is working.  I am hoping he is going to be one of the Medalists. 

I think some people have more severe cases of T1.  I have had it for 28 years, diagnosed 1984 when I was 7.  Got the Omnipod Nov 2010.  Never had complications until I suprisingly got pregnant with my daughter in 2006 with my A1C at 8.  Got it down to 6 by week 20.  The rapid changes in blood sugar and hormone levels caused some minor retinopathy that was fixable.  I was recently told that I am insulin sensitive.  WTF, T1 and insulin sensitive?  does that make any sense?  Also my mom just told me that when I was diagnosed my blood sugar was 350.  That was huge, things make so much more sese to me now.  My friend has a sister that's had it for 28 years, she is legally blind, and has been hositalized several times in the last 12 months with blood sugar over 1200!!!  I have never seen my blood sugar over 500.  (and that was after Christmas dinner and forgetting to bolus)  another friend of mine DIED at 23 because of her severe case/poor control/weight/two unplanned pregnancies, she was told at diagnosis that she would be blind, lose limbs, die etc.  They were right, and I think that if they hadn't told her that she might be alive.  She always had the attitude of "Well I'm probably gonna go blind or die so WTF, I'll just drink the Mt Dew"  I saw it.  My doctor, the wonderful Dr. Spencer at Park Nicollet never tried to scare me into taking care of myself.  She was always positive, encouraging, understanding and suppportive.  I was told at diagnosis that "we are 5 years away from a cure"  For 28 years I have been told that every year, it has turned out to be a load of crap so far, but that little lie sits in the back of my mind at all times, keeping me on my toes so that whever the F#!* the "CURE" gets here I am alive and healthy and able to get it. 

Wow, got off on a rant there......sorry......anyway.... some people have very servere cases of type 1 and some people have mild cases, like maybe the mild cases have a few cells that still make insulin, or remember how to use it or something.  It's all very fascinating.  I love Juvenation.  Thank you :)

Angie, I think you are right.  Some people still have cells that make insulin even though they have all the symptoms of T1.  I KNOW our 18 year old son does because he's been diagnosed for a year and a half and uses about 50 units of Humalog a MONTH!!  He also uses 16 units of Lantus a day.  When he was diagnosed his BG was over 600.  He eats whatever he wants during the day but in the evening will go to higher protein/fat snacks instead of regular soda/chips, etc.  His last A1c was 6.0 and that was slightly up from the 5.9 the previous six months.  When he does eat higher carbs early in the evening like a pizza, he will take 3-4 units of humalog BUT has to be careful because his body must also start producing insulin because he'll sometimes go low (in the 40's & 50's) during the night.  That's why he tries to not take any fast acting insulin.  He also takes Janumet twice a day - I know it's a T2 drug but his doctor is experimenting and Merck gives us the meds for free.  They think it stimulates his remaining Beta cells to produce more insulin and makes his body more receptive to the insulin he's still producing.

We are hearing the same thing - a cure in five years and that's what we're praying for!!  We just want him to be as healthy as possible.  His only problem is trying to gain weight.  He needs to pick up 10-15# and it's been hard.  He has less than 5% body fat at 175#.  Also we've noticed that when he's playing a sport like football or basketball where they constantly exercise each day he needs less Lantus.  Within a week of the basketball season being over last month, he needed to up his Lantus.  Now that baseball has started, we'll have to see how it goes.

Hang in there and stay healthy waiting for that cure!!

Do you think complications have anything to do with your mental attitude about diabetes?  I've never been a worrier and am complication free after years of bad control (my A1c during my teen years was usually 12-14).  Obviously there must be physiological reasons I don't have complications too, but I've always felt like diabetes wasn't a big deal because I don't feel like a sick person.

EldriGZ- Hate to disappoint you, but I've been hearing a cure is 5 years away for the entire time I've had diabetes... 33 years!  I'll believe it when I see it.  I do think the smart insulins will be available in 5 years, which will be a huge improvement for any diabetic.

Angie- Are you a patient at Park Nicollet in St. Louis Park, MN?  Have you been since you were diagnosed?  I was treated as a kid there from about 1977-1985.  We were probably fighting over toys in the waiting room. =)

[quote user="jennagrant"]

Do you think complications have anything to do with your mental attitude about diabetes?  I've never been a worrier and am complication free after years of bad control (my A1c during my teen years was usually 12-14).  Obviously there must be physiological reasons I don't have complications too, but I've always felt like diabetes wasn't a big deal because I don't feel like a sick person.

[/quote]

It would be interesting to see if there was any relation to that. I also have never made Diabetes a big deal, as I was 6 when i was dx and can't remember life before needles! haha.

Jenna- What about Camp Needlepoint?!?!?  Park Nicollet SLP is my home.  

Really enjoyed reading about your involvement with the Medalists group.  I bet that is a very interesting study and a great source of new friendships.  I was diagnosed in 1963 so I hope to get my medal in two years.  Like you, I have no serious complications, just minor neuropathy and background retinopathy that has greatly improved since I've been a pumper.  Whatever you are doing, keep up the good work, Richard!!  A positive attitude does wonders for your glucose levels.

[quote user="Angie"]

Jenna- What about Camp Needlepoint?!?!?  Park Nicollet SLP is my home.  

[/quote]

Yes!  I attended Camp Needlepoint in the early 1980's, until we moved to Denver.  It was wonderful.  I was diagnosed when I was 4 and my mom said I couldn't wait until the summer I was 7 and was finally old enough to attend Camp Needlepoint. 

Camp really did make a big impression on me.  First time I'd met other diabetics and got to handle my own care (of course under the supervision of the medical staff there).  It also gave me a love for the outdoors.  I worked as a camp counselor several years as an adult and have a lifelong love of camping and the outdoors.  It all started at Camp Needlepoint. 

I live in Tulsa now, but still have family in the Cities.

Hello Anita! I see you have made your first post here in this discussion today. Welcome to Juvenation!!Your name caught my eye because my wife's name is Anita.

So you have been type 1 for 48 years. You must be doing very well. I am going to send you a link that will make it easier to apply for the medal. Look for it on your profile page.

Richard