Sick for the first time

Glad to hopefully help. Interesting you spoke with your supplier about the options. In my experience patients discuss them with the physician and they go over the benefits of each and for which would be best; then doctor puts patient in contact with a rep from the company they chose. That person then does some initial insurance checking to make sure their device is covered, and may recommend suppliers to work with.
That’s more or less what it’s been like for me. If you’re new to this I suggest going that route - also, the reps are pros at navigating details with the suppliers and insurance. I tried once and found myself going back and forth between supplier and insurance about details😫…
Once you’re ready to place your order it should be a matter of giving them your insurance and other personal info and following up with your doctor if the supplier need an rx.
Fingers crossed for you!

Hello and thanks for the info about freestyle. It’s currently almost 12 pm and she’s spiked. When she ate breakfast she was at 190 and is currently at almost 250 steady. Hopefully after lunch she’ll start dropping a little bit. So far she’s doing fine. She has a cough but says she has no sore throat and since last night absolutely no fever. I guess you could say she’s doing better. I just hope that with the coming days she won’t get worse.

You take care as well! Thank you for your concern.

1 Like

Hello, it sounds like she maybe in the recovery stage, let’s hope she stays that way. Her higher BGL’s are a little concerning though. If they continue to stay on the upper side of things y’all may want to contact her doctor to discuss a temporary higher dosage adjustment to get her back to norms. We hope she continues to improve, please make sure to keep us updated.

She was on the higher side when she ate and of course eating is going to raise it even more. I believe around 50 points is considered okay for a rise so that sounds like her number is to be expected. I’m not a doctor but I imagine your parents have discussed how much of a rise is okay for her. Keep an eye on the numbers and reach out to the doctor if you feel you need to.

@rs3880 @wadawabbit

Thank you for your concern. Thankfully the highest her glucose has gone is 250 and that was in the morning. She has been losing a little bit of appetite so she’s been eating lighter foods. This whole days she’s been between 160-200 after she spiked to 250. She’s supposed to be under 150 in the daytime but her glucose tends to be in that range on normal days anyways. She’s shown no new symptoms. Hopefully tomorrow will bring a better day. Thank you!

Hello, it’s good to hear she feeling a little better. Keep an eye on her BGL’s as you are doing. Is she drinking a lot of fluids? That will help in lowering blood sugars a little bit too.

1 Like

Hello,
Yes she’s drinking lots of fluids. It seems as if in the afternoon she is spiking. She had a very low carb dinner and took insulin for it but went to bed with a glucose of 327. Gave her a correction of four units and she’s at 85 right now. Diabetes is very confusing. Anyways, thank you!

1 Like

Hi Alexa, You are so correct about Diabetes being confusing. She may be having honeymoon phase episodes. Her pancreas may start working for no reason and add insulin to her bolus dose and there’s no way to know it’s happening causing a low to happen. Then there’s the situation called dawn phenomenon with some people experiencing a good BGL when waking up and without eating or drinking anything with calories their BGL’s start rising for no apparent reason into the 200’s and higher. That is when the liver secrets glucose from it’s stores in a natural way to assist you while waking up. I have that nearly every morning and it is a pain. I can wake to a 98 BGL and before it’s time for my daily starting basal and bolus shot it climbs to 220 within a couple of hours without eating or drinking. You can read about these conditions to find out more but they’re bodily functions that just add twists to things. Keep up the good job and keep us updated.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Today she is doing almost the same, cough and stuffy nose. On the other hand her blood sugars are still between 150-220. We have scheduled a video call with her primary doctor and see if she recommends a Covid test. Afterwards we will just move forward with her endo and see what to do from there.

Thank you :pray:t2:

1 Like

Hi Alexa. It sounds like y’all have a plan so that’s good. We hope there is a diagnosis to why she’s feeling like she is. We look forward to hearing how she is doing. Take care of each other.

1 Like

Hi. I’m just checking to see how your sis is doing. I hope she’s over whatever she had.

1 Like

Hello,
Thank you for checking in. She is doing a lot better. We had a video conference with her doctor and she said it is either a flu or it is Covid. Currently my sister only has a congested nose and a little bit of a cough. She also has loss of taste and smell. It is more likely that she has Covid. However her glucose has been amazing, and so far no ketones. It seems as if she was only feeling especially sick the first few days. We will just have to see how she continues this week.

Take care

Great news, especially about her numbers! If course hopefully it’s not COVID but she’ll probably get tested to be sure. I had COVID easier in the year and while it varies from person to person, in my case i was SUPER tired the two weeks I had it, and it zapped my energy. Just walking 20 get to the bathroom, or getting out of the shower, drained me. My taste and smell were okay but I didn’t have any appetite - okay my numbers were the best and most consistent ever. Using a pump with CIQ helped tremendously but not everyone wants a pump or even needs one in ordinary day to day life (when not sick). My husband was incredibly helpful and thankfully I was able to recover at home. I had it for two weeks and the last couple of days I started feeling markedly better although I did force myself to move around as lying in bed all day isn’t good mental or physically (non-medical opinion).
I let my endo know my initial symptoms - she told me to get tested and when I told her the results were positive she said if anything got worse, go to hospital (I’ve adopted the European way of omitting the word “the” - I think it sounds classier😊).
Obviously follow doctor’s orders if it is COVID. I hope it’s not but wanted to share a relatively positive experience. Another forum member with Type shared that she recovered from COVID at home by herself so we can do this, but do what doctor says.

1 Like

It’s good to hear that she’doing better. You may want to try the new home covid test by Abbott that you can get at pharmacies to maybe get a conformation if it is covid. Good job on caring for her during this difficult time.

1 Like

Thank you all so much for your help. She did get covid. Thankfully she did not have severe symptoms and her blood glucose was in a good level for the most part. Right now the only symptoms she has is loss of smell and taste. She’s pretty much recovered and has been quarantined for the past 10 days. Again thank you all!

2 Likes

Thank you for the update. I’m sorry to hear she got COVID but I’m really glad she’s doing well. I had it for two weeks - I don’t know if that’s the typical duration but I hope it means she’ll be over it soon. You’re a great sister and I’m sure she and your parents are all grateful to have you in her corner.

1 Like

It’s great to hear she’s on the mend. Y’all have been true warriors and very supportive of her during a trying time with her having COVID. Hopefully things will start getting back to her normal soon. Tell her great job and let us know her progress as she continues to improve. Fist bump.

1 Like

Thank you both! Your support and advice has made this whole process easier.

1 Like

We’re in y’all’s corner too. We’ve got your back. :muscle:

1 Like