Securing my pump

I was diagnosed three years ago, in my late 40s. I am picking my pump up this week and am concerned. How do I maintain control over my pump during rigorous workouts? Also, I’m now nervous, after reading discussions about injection site scarring… yikes. MDI is inconvenient and have sacrificed my A1C in order to avoid crashing. I remain hopful. help?

I am picking my pump up this week and am concerned.

It’s hard, for me at least, to try to address whatever your concerns are without a bit more background information about both possibly you but especially the med support team you’re (I assume?) picking the pump up from.

The usual regimen for hooking someone up with a new pump usually involves a lot more than simply handing them a box and saying “So … good luck with that!”. You should have at the very least a sit down session with an educator who will walk through using the main menus of the pump, entering whatever values for bolus & basal you & your doctor have decided to start out with, and walking through filling a reservoir, priming your tubing, and inserting an infusion set.

Some places take a lot longer than that and will run you through an education and then start you out pumping only saline for anywhere from a day or two to a week or more. The idea is to get you comfortable just wearing the pump without any danger of affecting your BGs.

In other words, there is no standard “industry wide” practice for starting folks out so unless you tell us, we won’t have any idea how it’s being approached for you.

BTW, to answer the question about your pump & workouts … what exactly is the question? If you’re wondering about controlling the insulin, you can set a temporary (reduced) basal rate to avoid going too low during & after intense physical activity. That would be one of the things which should be covered during the “meet your new pump” session.

Have you compiled & written down a list of questions for your training? I would suggest trying to do that. It’s not so much that you would actually use the list as that the act of writing the questions down helps you to focus better and think things through. I think it can be a good way to organize your thoughts prior to getting trained.

-iJohn

I forgot to ask what make/model of pump you are getting later this week?

-iJohn

My “team” and I have done a great deal of prep for this day… but none of them has had need to wear one. It seems like, especially in workout attire, that it will fly off. My question is regarding the physical unit. And I’ll be using the Minimed w/Enlite.

It seems like, especially in workout attire, that it will fly off. My question is regarding the physical unit. And I’ll be using the Minimed w/Enlite.

Oh, so you’re asking how to wear the pump so it won’t get in the way during a workout. Well, that’s not something I have experience with. When I’ve been active I’ve never bounced around that much and simply clipping the “holster” pump holder to the waist of my shorts. (I assume … but don’t actually know … that the plastic “holster” still comes with the 530G. I think it can use this clear plastic one?)

Frankly the difference between genders both in workout clothing & in personal preferences limits how much use my experience would be. Sorry.

On the other hand, this is a topic which comes up in lots of different ways on many discussion forums, so the odds are good you’d find some suggestions if you look around.

-iJohn

I’ll be using the Minimed w/Enlite.

I know you didn’t ask about this, but I also use the Enlite sensor only with the Paradigm 723 pump, not the (newer) 530G.

Here is a link to a post I made in another thread which contains links to a series of 7 YouTube videos created & posted by Medtronic Diabetes Australasia (ANZ). I recommend watching at least some of the core ones before you go for training/insertion of your first Enlite.

Medtronic US also has demonstration videos, but I personally feel the ones from Medtronic ANZ are much better. They provide more helpful information. The US ones just show an insertion without offering any tips to make sure the inserted sensor will work well for you.

While you can get very good results using the Enlite, Medtronic’s CGM can be notoriously finicky (IMO). If you don’t insert it properly you can run into all kinds of wonkiness from it (IMO).

-iJohn

I have the minimed 530G with an Enlite sensor, and I like it a lot. When I am active (like running with/after my 4 dogs, I wear my pump it in my bra. If I am afraid it’ll bounce out, I’ll wrap the tubing around the front of the bra so that it can’t go too far. I’ve found that the sensor is more reliable if you do not calibrate too often during the day (only 2-3 times per 24 hours) and don’t do it while your blood glucose is moving too quickly.

Hi, I was diagnosed at 42. I put my pump in my bra most often, clip it inside. I find it comfortable to put a small sock on my pump because it obsorbs my sweat and also feels a lot better. And yes, my tummy has lots of marks from injecting my set. I alternate often, one side to another.

And yes, my tummy has lots of marks from injecting my set. I alternate often, one side to another.
Do you also use sites on other parts of your body such as your thighs, buttocks, or back of your arm? If not, I'm curious why this may be more difficult for other people.

My rotation for insulin sites is roughly circular from my left to the right side touching points in the “love handle” area, then the slightly outer area of my upper thigh, & then the center area of my upper thigh.

Previously I also used to insert on the back of my upper arm and I am debating whether to try that again. I have not used my upper arm for a while mostly because I have more difficulty deciding where to carry my pump & routing my 23" tubing when I insert on the back of my arm. :wink:

A bigger concern for me these days is finding good spots to insert & wear the Enlite CGM sensor.

I frankly consider Medtronic’s “official” stipulation to insert only on the abdomen absurd. For one thing, I have found I encounter problems with skin irritation when carrying the Enlite on my abdomen. I feel I must limit how often I use my abdomen for the CGM sensor in order to give the skin there time to recover/heal after wearing a sensor there for six days.

I have also had good results inserting an Enlite into my upper thigh so long as I pick a “good” spot. However, some areas which I would like to try I can’t use simply because I lack the flexibility to successfully apply the overtape in those locations.

For example, I often wondered how people can insert the Enlite on their buttocks. Then I saw it demonstrated in this “Enlite Sensor tips” video blog entry. (It happens at time 3:33 into the vid.) I found it striking how much more flexible the person demonstrating is than I am. I could never comfortably get both of my hands back there the way he does. :slight_smile:

-iJohn

Katie, your pump will be a big step forward in achieving better HB A1c readings - but as you know you must continue playing an active part as the pump is NOT YET a miracle worker.

First a comment with scar tissue. You will develop some scar tissue because it is probably unavoidable but will be much less of a concern for you because of such a short time on MDI. I was on Intensive MDI with 4 to 10 injections daily from about 1975 until I started pumping which only requires injection site penetration every third day - the always sharp disposable needles were not readily available for my first 20 years; before that used often dull stainless steel needles that required boiling before reuse. If one of your rotation spots becomes irritated or appears to be ineffective skip that area for a cycle. I have 8 numbered infusion sites so in theory an area is only used every 27th day with change of infusion set every third day.

Your other question; There are many, many ways to secure the pump to your body that range from holsters and clips that can be attached almost anywhere to harnesses that one puts on similar to a back-pack and also pouches that attach to a bra. I vary my method of securing the pump depending on my choice of clothing and activity; sometimes high activity games [such as on the beach] I use a Velcro belt with a pocket about my waist. If you need to conceal your pump don’t plan on wearing a slinky sheath evening gown; although at a premier, I was delighted to see one of the actresses who proudly wore her pump clipped to the outside rear of rakishly cut gown.

You say you are very active, so if possible avoid infusion site that might be affected by continued strong activity as muscle activity near an infusion site speeds up insulin absorption. I enjoy cycling so I will not place an infusion on my legs. Also before ending extended strenuous activity take a carb snack PLUS A BOLUS which will signal your liver to slow down glucagon release; about two miles before I finish my bike ride I stop, eat a package of PB crackers and take a square bolus equal to 50 % of the food calculation.

Dennis

Hi there,

I’ve learned a few tricks that have helped me over the years. First off, you can buy fancy pump pouches, bands and anything you want to help secure it wherever you want-it’s a serious industry :). I prefer the low budget homemade stuff…which means buy lots of baby socks and safety pins. I put my pump in the baby sock and then pin the baby sock on the inside of my waistband of my pants. I also sometimes put the baby sock around it and put it in my sports bra. With regards to the infusion site, if you find trouble with it while exercising ask your doctor for some iv plastic films. They can be placed over your set while you exercise.

Best of luck,
AddieRose

It is worth the infusion site spots. They heal. I have found some very cute pump pouches on Etsy. There are so many options for different body areas. Pick one that would limit bouncing. And when you pick exercise gear, many pants and tops have built in zipper pockets for phones wich are perfect for pumps. If you poke a tiny hole in the inside you have a perfect set up. Be creative and test out different options. You will find something perfect for your individual needs.

One of the women on another site I follow posted about ordering something from www.pumpwearinc.com. I don’t know if any of the clothing or other accessories sold there might be of any help to you, but I decided it couldn’t hurt to point towards it.

Also here’s a link to the discussion thread with the reference to the pumpwearinc site for whatever its worth.

-iJohn

If you are very active and workout/run often I suggest investing in a good belt… I LOVE my SPIbelt (about $20 and more than worth it) I have a minimed paradigm and the SPI has enough room for my pump car key and then when I run I still have enough room for glucose sticks or gels in case I crash… Just a thought on working out with a pump, its saved my sites and pump more times than I can count.

I LOVE my SPIbelt

By SPIbelt, I assume you are referring to what they sell at www.spibelt.com, yes?

What I am not clear on just by looking at the pics on the web site is what’s better about it than, say, a regular “fanny pack”? Also, it seems they’ve added more versions of the belt since the last time I visited their site. What version do you think works best for you with your pump?

-iJohn

@zjohnnyr Yes exactly those!!! I have the original SPIBelt and its much smaller and more secure than a “fanny pack.” Also a major difference for me is that they are made for runners and highly active people and the SPI doesn’t move around on me like a typical “fanny pack” would due to the nature of the belt. The Original SPI is small but it works perfect for me because all I really need to put in it is my pump most of the time (Minimed Paradigm 723 [pink]) but I can still fit my iPhone 5s and glucose sticks in it as well.

I like to clip my pump on my underwear so it is held tightly to my body by my yoga pants. The extra fold over portion of the yoga pants really help it stay there. It keeps it close by, all the tubing is under clothing, keeping it from getting caught on anything and it isn’t visible. like its not even there!

My issue is with car seat belts which typically goes across where my pump is the waist of my pants or skirt, don’t like the clip to bra either. Problem solved with a crochet hook and yarn simple yet stylish crossover mini purse.