Resistance training and days of lows

I just started weight training again. It was 48 hours ago, but I still feel like it’s affecting my blood sugar. I had the worst stretch of getting up last night as I went low 2 hours after dinner, again 2 hours later, and 2 hours after that. I finally decreased my basal by 25% ate a protein bar and let myself go up. I did correct after I was in the 200s for a few hours. Today I’m doing okay, but primarily because I have had a 10% basal decrease on all day, did a higher IC (did 1:6 instead of 1:5) and have not done any correction amounts for a blood sugar of 126. Has anyone else had anything like this happen after lifting weights but the blood sugar decrease happening at the 36 hour mark? I sent pump data to endo for suggestions too, but just doing my best to chug along today. Sometimes diabetes is the absolute worst.

it happened to me yesterday too. back at the gym, now I need less basal and it has been a full 24 hours. a workout can change your metabolism for 48 hours in my experience. it is still better than not moving!

Okay thanks! When you have the repeat of lows like that do you just adjust your temp basal lower to compensate?

Yes. And I may eat more, depending.

1 Like

Interesting Taylor @Tee25 but not unusual. I’ve experienced very similar times.

The GOOD thing I that you are observing and took prop care of yourself. By experimenting, you will learn what YOUR body needs. For me, I have a Profile set for days of extrodinary exercise with both Lower bolus and lower basal, including 0 basal per hour. I will eat granola bars and crackers along with Gatorade while exercising and hold off insulin until I see my BGL arrow or graph begin to go up. My insulin then would be only fraction of what my pump. Estimates.

1 Like

Hi @Tee25, I do not have longer-term lows from resistance training, but I do from cardio, so I guess it might depend on your heart rate during resistance training. Christel Oerum has a lot of good exercise-related info at https://diabetesstrong.com/.

Thanks for the advice as always! I’m going to keep record of the next couple of times I do it and if I see this as a pattern moving forward that’s definitely something I’m going to try!

1 Like

Thanks Mike! I found her on google the other day and there has been some good tips in there too.

Bet your Bippy that weight training and other increases in exercise will cause delayed lows and lower averages in blood sugar levels, notably during the night. If you plan to continue on a long term basis I would decrease all insulin input until you find where a comfortable balance will happen.
Weight training is great and if you continue less insulin or meds will be required overall.

As a 77yr old previous weight trainer and having t1d for 25yrs (MIDD) I can comfortably tell you that you have to adjust on a weekly basis, but once you find your pace it will remain steady.

Tom