Recipes for Free Desserts

Hi,

Does anyone have any recipes for free desserts?  My daughter found a recipe for (free) peanut butter cookies and instead of sugar, the recipe called for Splenda.  We have a history of cancer in our family, so I am wary of using Splenda. 

We want to try Stevia and agave nectar.  Has anyone tried baking with those substitutions?  Will you share your recipe?

Thanks,

Amanda

Sorry - I don't have any free recipes. I don't use any sugar substitutes either generally - my son is only allowed diet soda if we are at a party (and then only 1) and we have some crystal light packets in case he is high and doesn't want to drink water (though that is become a rare occurence.)

I am curious about the recipe she found though - does it not have any flour in it either? Or is it 'free' because 1 cookie ends up being 5 g carb or less using the Splenda? Most 'sugar free' foods still have carbs so to me it doesn't make sense to use them. We have always just served regular treats/desserts in moderation and just given insulin for it and have not had any problems that I can attribute to a specific dessert.

Hi Amanda,

We have tried using all three.  We really don't care for any of them.  The peanut butter cookies turned out fine, use less than the 1:1 ratio because it does have a strong flavor.  You will notice the aftertaste and the cookies are crumbly.  We have made the recipe with peanut butter, egg and sweetener.  We have gone back to using sugar.  The carbs saved in using the sweetener aren't really worth the trade off.  Our PB cookies have 13 gm carbs, sometimes more if I add oats.  I also use almond flour instead of all white or wheat flour.  My kids like them best with the almond flour.....I like the texture, too, but they come out a little flatter because you don't get the rise with almond flour like you do with all purpose, etc.

If I don't have nutrition info, then I calculate based on ingredients and divide it by the # of cookies I get.

Ann

Hi JDVsMom,

No, there is no flour in the recipe, which is why it's free, because of that and the Splenda.

There was a third ingredient, but I don't remember what it was.

She's on the fixed carb plan, so she will have to wait to see if they change her diet.

Thanks for your reply!  Have a good weekend!

Amanda

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your reply!  Do you mind giving me your recipe?  I've never heard of almond flour.  Do you buy it at a health food store?

Yes, you're right.  We may just have to switch back to sugar.  She wants to eat free food all day, but really, everything in moderation is better.

Take care!

Amanda

Just FYI, agave nectar isn't even remotely low-carb.  It's still very, very sugary, just a healthier type of sugar compared to table sugar.  The sugar spike with agave isn't as steep.

[quote user="Amanda"]

No, there is no flour in the recipe, which is why it's free, because of that and the Splenda.

[/quote]

Was it egg?  The South Beach peanut butter cookies, which are made with Splenda and no flour, include egg.  I think it helps give them a fluffier texter, and to hold it together better.

I actually really love that recipe!  I don't notice the aftertaste of Splenda as much as a lot of people do, and I love, love, love peanut butter.  :)  Mmmm, maybe I should make some this weekend...

[quote user="Amanda"]

[/quote]

1 egg

3/4 cup Splenda (or preferred sweetener)

1 cup peanut butter

Bake 350* 12-15 minutes.  Wait till they cool a bit before transferring them to a cooling rack or they will break.

going to have to try these. My son is 2 and loves oreo's - auntie gives him lunchables when she watchs him and also makes sure to get the ones with the oreos in them. I haven't looked much into 'free' or real low carb count cookies for him yet (he was diagnosed this past Halloween at 20 months old) I can't wait to make them and see what he thinks! Seems super easy! thanks ladies!

How can they be "free" ? Don't you count fat and protein? We count carbs, fat, and protein. Have you tried making peanut butter cookies using the peanut butter from walden farms?