Reading Dr. Bernstein's Book and Getting Discouraged

Thank you very. Much @tedquick Ted, for sharing your Words of Wisdom. Your extensive experience and knowledge adds much to this Forum.

It is obvious that you developed an effective way to navigate diabetes management and beat the "best odds " doctors were giving in 1956 - “with lots of luck, you may double your age”. I was diagnosed in 1957, and my family never shared this prognosis with me until 40 years later; instead they offered me encouragement and inspiration.

Hello! I’m almost 2 years into this T1D journey with a kid- diagnosed age 11. We are patients at the Barbara Davis Center, who are basically the experts in diabetes management. They made it very clear from the beginning that they do not recommend a low-carb diet because kids need calories and carbs! We have found that certain carbs affect our child’s blood sugar more than others… For example certain cereals …so we have a different ratio of insulin to carb when he eats those things but once we did that we were able to prevent the huge spikes. You will also find that as you progress in your technology and if you move to a CGM you can see these things happen and if you ever do a pump you can also preset for those foods and dose accordingly. Short answer- yes we do carbs. And having a kid with diabetes is hard and because of their hormonal changes it is a constant chasing of those numbers. I personally would put down the book if you don’t have peace with it. Blessings!

3 Likes

Pretty much the same for me. My family all understood that positive thoughts are always best, and especially with the kids they were a established, unspoken, rule. Seems like that worked for both of us.

Thank you! We just got the news today that we’ll be able to get a Dexcom and have an order being started for that. We’re so excited to be able to actually track her numbers better soon.

One more thing… it’s great but not perfect. Don’t be surprised with the technical difficulties,signal loss and sensors going out early- it’s just a new normal and you have to make time for ordering and reporting sensor errors. Another “new normal” but a great tool and will save MANY, but not all,fingersticks. Not trying to discourage, but I just remember thinking “what am I doing wrong?” And the answer is “nothing “ – it’s a tool and part of the journey but it gives you so much data that it’s probably worth it!

1 Like

I’ve used the Dexcom G4/5 and am now on the G6. I just wanted to say, if you do have issues call them right away. I believe they’re open 24/7 for tech support and they’ve walked me through some steps to try to resolve things, and overnighted replacements if that wasn’t possible.
Congratulations!

1 Like

For me, candy raises my blood sugar faster than the insulin bolus from my pump can take effect. I have tried bolusing way ahead, but then my insulin pump turns itself down (I have Control IQ software). I am not a fan of carb-rich foods and tend to stay away from them. But each person is different, and what works now may change later. My body is far different from how it behaved when rapid-acting insulins were first used.

I didn’t have any celiac disease symptoms either. I was diagnosed about 8 years ago after my doctor noticed an odd result in my annual bloodwork. I understand that’s quite common for diabetics; not only are we more likely to develop celiac disease, we’re also more likely not to have obvious symptoms. I hope your daughter doesn’t have celiac disease, but if she does it’s not so bad, really. There are definitely some foods that I miss, but I can either make or buy decent substitutes for almost everything. Almond flour waffles sound delicious!

Balance is my motto for sure! I’ve had T1D for 35 yrs and my 10 yr old son was diagnosed last year…sugars, carbs, balance…this is my life. Personally, I don’t want to live too restricted and, for my son, I want him to be as ‘normal’ as possible. He is learning to read labels, and put the carbs into his pump, so he can have that unplanned treat that all his friends are having.