Question re Type 1 Diabetes and gastric bypass surgery

I am 50 years old, and have been a Type 1 diabetic for 46 years.  I am severely overweight, and need to lose a lot of weight ASAP.  Several people and several doctors have recommended gastric bypass surgery.  However, after having the surgery, you are not supposed to consume any sweets of any kind.  Sweets are prohibited because they cause “dumping” syndrome, which includes extreme vommitting, cramping, and diarrhea. 

Does anyone have any experience and/or knowledge with how a Type 1 diabetic who has had gastric bypass surgery is supposed to treat a low blood sugar?  What do you do for a low blood sugar if you cannot eat or drink anything sweet?  I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer. 

Thanks,

David

Hi David -

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 33 yrs  and  just had the Gastic Sleeve done on May 9, 2011.  I was also afraid of getting low w/ the bypass but my surgeon thought that this would be the best for me b/c there is no "dumping" since all they do is make your stomach smaller.  (with the bypass, he told me I would have to have a feeding tube for 4-6 wks incase I did get low, I could put the food in that way and it would go into the existing part of the stomach, not the pouch)

As of my 6 wk. check-up, I have lost 19lbs, I am off  2 blood pressure meds, a type 1 med and a hormone shot that I took for diabetes.  My insulin needs are under 30 units a day and I am feeling great.  My surgeon is a little concerned b/c I am not losing weight fast enough but my endocrinologist is happy w/ the results so far.  It's very hard to lose wt when your insulin needs are high and he believes that I will lose the weight - just not as fast as someone w/ out type 1 diabetes.

All in all,  I do not regret it.  I have come to terms that I a "special" and with diet, exercise and time, I will be able to lose the excess weight and be as healthy as I can be!

The best of luck to you~

Pam

Hi david my mom has type 1 diabetic and I can relate alot to Pam. She is using blod pressure med atm, and struggling wtih her exercise. She is losing weight steadily every month with a good diet and exercise. I hope it can be of any inspiration to keep on moving.

All the best.

Mike

Hi David, There are a few things you can do to reduce dumping. They will also assist with the weight loss

They are  avoid or limit concentrated sugars in any form like cookies, cake, pies, sugar, and syrup.

Avoid packaged foods with sugar listed among the first three ingredients on the label The higher up the list the higher the content.

Eat six small meals daily instead of three large meals.

Eat slowly.

Avoid eating and drinking at the same time. Wait 30 minutes before and after a meal to drink fluids. Drink   low sugar beverages only.

If you have a hypo then you will most likely need less sugar than you currently do. Check with your endocrinologist

Good luck

Susan

[quote user="Susan84"]

They are  avoid or limit concentrated sugars in any form like cookies, cake, pies, sugar, and syrup.

Avoid packaged foods with sugar listed among the first three ingredients on the label The higher up the list the higher the content.

Eat six small meals daily instead of three large meals.

Eat slowly.

Avoid eating and drinking at the same time. Wait 30 minutes before and after a meal to drink fluids. Drink   low sugar beverages only.

[/quote]

I would also add eat foods that are low in carbohydrates.

I feel your pain David.

My mother is on the same condition and sometimes I feel useless because I can't help her enough.

Good luck David,

Rob.

There are a lot of recipes for diabetics patience and sugar replacement available. Look at the bright side, adapting to a healthier lifestyle can be quite beneficial for long term.

Good luck~~

Pam: I know its been nine years since you responded to someone on this list about the gastric sleeve. My daughter is 33 and obese and we’ve all been searching for people with experience with the sleeve. If you’re still checking in, can you update me on your health/T1D? Thanks

Bill at Williamade884@gmail.com